Wednesday 22 January 2020

From MarkB: Custer’s Last Stand (85 points)

Hello all,
So far on my burning, pillaging and looting tour of the Painting Challenge Island I have made my way along the historical path and reached the delights of Benito’s Brook. The challenge demanded a last stand... so what better way of fulfilling this than one of the most iconic last stands in history? Custer’s last stand!


The US Cavalry figures are mostly Dixon’s miniatures although Custer himself is a glorious Artizan sculpt that came free with the old Warhammer Historical Blood on the Plains book. All are 28mm. I positioned them all on a 60mm MDF base facing at all angles as the Sioux and Cheyenne braves close in to count coup and finally finish them off!


To fight against the doughty 7th Cavalry I needed some Indian braves. These fine Foundry figures painted up really nicely. I particularly enjoyed doing the Appaloosa horse and the vivid warpaint to contrast with the muted duns and browns in the Native American clothing and horses.




The warpaint was fun to add. I’m not sure if it will really protect them from all the bullets that Custer’s boys will be dealing out? But maybe their ammunition is running out and their fire is slackening by now?


I thought the iconic Appaloosa horse really needed attempting. I’m going to try and do a few more variants on these as they make an interesting and eye-catching challenge to paint.


The Sioux are closing in for the kill. Custer looks remarkably steadfast considering the situation!


Last of all a dramatic warrior society brave resplendent with sash so he can peg himself to the ground to display his bravery.

So in total 5 x 28mm foot figures = 25 points
3 x 28mm cavalry figures = 30 points
Benito’s Brook last stand challenge completed = 30 points
Grand total = 85 points

I will continue the looting tour on to O’Grady’s Gulch where I already have treats in store for you!



I recall as a youngster reading the Ladybird book about Custer's Last Stand, and had a feeling that somebody would reproduce it for this island location. Excellent work, Mark, and an interesting choice to give Custer a dark brown buckskin jacket - all the images I've seen show it as more of a yellow brown, but the dark colour does work nicely.  85 points well earned!

TamsinP

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous painting Mark. That Artizan Custer is a wonderful sculpt, and I like the colour palette youce gone with, clear and crisp but with subdued colouring. Great little diorama.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting here Mark, really impressive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg work Mark, love Custer's face and those horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely vignette and good looking horsemen!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Mark.
    I visited the battlefield at Little Bighorn last year and plan to add some of these Foundry sculpts to my own collection some time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful entry - especially love the warpainted horses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work! Was thinking about something similar for this location but didn’t find any suitable figures... it seems I wasn't looking in the right places

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice brushwork Mark. I really like the bold colours you chose for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent set of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, really beautifully painted!

    Superb workmanship :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting - dont often see figures from this period. Love the Indian horse painting. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone. I must really do a few more!

    ReplyDelete