Wednesday 22 January 2020

From MikeW - 17th Century French Dragoons (40 Points)

For this post I have also dug into the recesses of my workbench and pulled out 8 x Front Rank Late 17th Century French Dismounted Dragoons.

Raw figures awaiting painting
I had these waiting to be painted so opted to do these as members of the La Bretesche Regiment that was raised in 1675 by Joussaume the Marquis de La Breesche.

As can be seen - I need to find some Command figures for this Regiment - ideally an Officer, Standard Bearer and a Drummer, as well as another Dragoon, so I can expand the unit to 2 x Squadrons each of 6 figures. Then I'll need to get the mounted version - but I'll cross that bridge later!

Finished Dismounted Dragoons
The figures are straight forward to paint, a white undercoat followed by the yellow hats, breaches, fs and coat linings, followed by red coats.
I base Dragoons in 'Half-Stands' to allow for a
Skirmish line to be created if required
Details were added including white shirts and neckties, dark brown boots and scabbards, muskets and metal work etc.
A bit more of a close-up
Again I used Army Painter Dark Tone dip to add shading and when dry I based and varnished.

-------
By Paul:
Nice work Mike - that period really was the rise of mounted infantry, as seen during the 30YW and the ECW. I'm sure these lads will provide stirling service, just keep their horses handy for a quick getaway!  40 points

7 comments: