Wednesday 22 January 2020

From PaulSS - El Cid Bretheren for Hawkins' Hill (75 points)


"Ah, those poor forgotten miniatures. Here's one for you: Submit something you prepared for Challenge 7 or earlier (or something from at least three years ago if you weren’t a Challenger at that time). "

Well these chaps could tell a story....

Many years ago - probably about 2013 - at the height of my quest to field some huge El Cid forces I put out a request on the Lead Adventure Forum for any old Perry Miniatures First Crusade figures that anybody had and was not painting.



Well a chap who had these Hospitaliers and had primed them and done a bit of basecoating. I got them in the Dettol, stripped them down and primed them again. They were put to one side, then put into a box and bought to the US with me where they languished these past four years and this week they finally got painted. 

They likely count as twice forgotten miniatures.

It's quite a milestone though, as the first month of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge now sees every unpainted figure I had for the El Cid collection painted. The collection now runs to eight "Really Useful Boxes" each one holding about 120 infantry or 50 mounted, that's a weighty amount of painted lead I can now throw at a table.


Points wise I think it should be:
  • 4 x 28mm mounted 40pts
  • Banner and pennant 2pts
  • Bonus for Hawkins' Hill 30pts
For a total of 72pts




Nice brethren Paul. And congrats on finishing painting all your El Cid figures - that's quite a collection. I reckon that completing* the collection surely warrants a further 3 bonus points.

TamsinP

21 comments:

  1. Excellent brushwork Paul mate!

    You have finished them all? Kudos!

    Might bet you have some Islamic types left? ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrell, I see you saw my other post. They think it's all over, it is now!

      Delete
  2. Excellent!!! One day I will get round to doing my El Cid project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twice-forgotten miniatures will fight with four times the fury on the tabletop! Well done Paul - again, the fine brushwork is very, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I plan for them to hit the table for a game I have organized on the 15th of Feb, like all newly painted figures they will probably be running away shortly after.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Paul, I'm glad that these guys made it out of the lead pile of shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking hospitalers! They don't look like they've ever been forgotten!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing a collection and making the summit of HH

      Now hotfoot it up Snowlord peak ;-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, these are gorgeous! Any chance to get a group shot of that collection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent brushwork Paul. I think its great that the Challenge has helped excavate these figures from your hobby storage. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the red & yellow theme.

    ReplyDelete