Wednesday 15 January 2020

From JohnS - A is for Assassin at Millsy's Millpond 55pts

I really thought that this entry would be called "T is for Thief" as this figure came from a packet of three figures I bought back in 1986/87 to get one to use for my thief character in AD&D. It wasn't until I dug it out for Millsy's brilliant challenge idea that I realised that it was marked as an Assassin.


From TSR ( I think that these were actually made by Citadel as TSR licenced minis) I remember visiting my parents for Christmas in 1986 and travelling by train up to Newcastle, NSW to Colin at Frontline Hobbies to get them. I painted up the one miniature and then put the others into the "cigar box of maybe painting later" which has grown over the years to become the "Room of Shame". Time and money well spent.

Once I realised that he was an Assassin I was inspired paint him in muted colours so he is good at hiding in the shadows. The strange shield design reflects the generic "filthy dungeon floor" that I have painted the base. I envisage him tucked into a corner, mottled cloak wrapped around him, any bits of shield exposed are the same colour as the floor and walls so they don't stand out. The first and last thing you see are those piercing blue eyes.

I painted the short sword like a Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, dulled blued steel with the silver gleam of razor sharp edges...great for cutting fruit.

I used those fandangly Citadel Contrast paints on the cloak, good for getting the mottled effect I was hoping for. I actually splashed a couple of other colours on first to give it a multi-coloured undercoat which worked quite well.
I find it quite amusing that a sneaky assassin would have jangly bits on his boots. I guess that they are Magical Boots of Stealth or similar so maybe those bits don't make any noise. It wasn't until I started painting that I even noticed that he has a small crossbow tucked behind his back.

Overall this has been a fond trip down memory lane painting this chap. It has been years sinced I played AD&D but I think this stabby fellow will get some work in Frostgrave which I have played a couple of times with Odin's Night Club and would like to play some more.

If I have worked this out correctly; 5 points for the figure, 30 points for meeting Millsy's Challenge, plus 10 bonus points for a pre-90 figure and 10 points for remembering the origin story. 55 in total.
A little back-up crossbow is always handy

From DaveD - a classic from Millsy's millpond alright!

18 comments:

  1. Nice work on this blast from the past. An x-bow is a long standing assissin's weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking assassin! Looks like he's in a folk rock band, maybe its flute and not a crossbow?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jethro Tull moonlighting as an assassin? I like your thinking!

      Delete
  3. Nice old school mini John :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I really think these minis were ahead of their time.

      Delete
  4. That is a terrific looking assassin, John. I really enjoyed reading your trip down memory lane. I think we had this very same figure in our group D&D collection, back when you'd just play with bare lead, or use figures with testors paint flaking off (no concept of what primer was). Heady days indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a reasonable chance that this chap saw a little tabletime in his bare naked metal state. I was quite taken by the idea of special AD&D miniatures when they first came out. Made a change from converting historicals.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow, another blast from the past - this is great, very old school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed! That model has been in your possession almost as long as I‘m old Oo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is by no means my oldest. I have some I bought in the mid 70s.

      Delete