Wednesday 15 January 2020

From SamuliS: Captain Aubrey making landfall at Reidy's Reef 60 points


Time to get myself started on the adventure at challenge island! Being the efficient engineer that I am I'm aiming to get two birds with one stone by submitting him as the prize miniature as well. Crafty isn't it!

The marine theme and the Royal Navy focus is actually pretty relevant for me personally as I work in shipbuilding on a large systems supplier. For the last 4 months or so I've spent most of my working time in France at the Saint-Nazaire dock which was the target off quite a famous British Commando and Navy operation targeted at destroying the Normandie drydock to deny the Germans access to the largest drydock at the time and forcing Tirpitz out of the Atlantic by denying her a place for repairs. Whoever dreamed up the idea of filling an old destroyer with explosives and ramming it into the drydock before setting of a timed fuse must have been mad, but it was ultimate a successful even if a costly operation for the British. Saint-Nazaire is also the home to large U-Boat pens which are still standing as destroying them would be too difficult and costly. So even though spending much time away from home isn't always nice at least I have some interesting wargames related sights that I can look at from our site office window and from the deck of the ship we're working on.


The subject itself is the fictional Captain Aubrey and based on his depiction in the Master and Commander film starring Russell Crowe. He came with the Black Powder 2 rulebook. While I never really had a use for him the challenge proved a perfect opportunity to get the miniature painted up and now as a prize hopefully going to some appreciative naval enthusiast :)


My DSLR is still in service so having to stick to the mobile phone camera. With a white background it seems to be performing much better even if personally I prefer the black background, but I guess I'll have to stick to this until I can get the camera fixed.

With the challenge island and challenge prize bonus points this entry should net me 60 points. 5 points for the miniature itself, 25 points for the prize entry and then 30 points for completing the island task.

From DaveD - Thats another challenger across the entry fee line. I really like him . With that i will hand the reins , or is rocks to Dr Cooke for tomorrow - he will know doubt threaten you with a test ...


12 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting Samuli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant painting. My Grandfather's unit carried out the raid on St Nazaire. Luckily he was left at home as he caught malaria in Egypt and wasn't allowed to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a bit of history! I wonder if we would be enjoying a certain MartinC if he had been given the green light.

      Delete
    2. Interesting bit of history! Being left at home was definitely lucky with the casualty rates that the participants suffered on that operation.

      Delete
  3. Really nice painting, Samuli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful brushwork Samuli! You really nailed the hair and skin tone. Well done and welcome to Challenge Island!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on Captain Jack !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent! I’d love to get my hands on this figure.

    ReplyDelete