Monday 16 March 2020

From StephenS: Seven Samurai gather at Benito's Brook (65 points)

As soon as I read the description for Benito's Brook, I knew exactly what I was going to do - a vignette based on one of my favourite films, The Magnificent Seven (1960 version). How better to represent a brave feat of arms against almost impossible odds? However, I couldn't find any figures I really liked. So then I decided that actually, what I had really wanted to do all along was pay homage to the film that inspired The Magnificent Seven - Akira Kurosawa's 1954 Seven Samurai.

Luckily, Footsore Miniatures and Games produce a very lovely set called 'Seven Ronin', which bear a striking resemblance to the seven masterless samurai of the film.


I had high hopes of getting a proper vignette together, and even put together some MDF terrain from Sarrisa Precision to go with it. Alas, newborn babies and painting challenges mix like oil and water, and time has escaped me.



Instead, seven 28 mm metal figures on their own, ready to defend a village from a horde of bandits despite the impossible odds. That should be 35 points for the miniatures and 30 points for the location.

See, just like the real thing!


Sayonara,

Samurai Steve

***

Greg work Stephen, this is very cool.  Samurai are one of those subjects I sometimes trick myself into thinking I can manage, and I then recoil after finishing a single figure, much less a group of them! Well done, these look great.  I think we can all understand that the priorities of life in 1-to-1 scale must come before the hobby, and that can slow progress, but some fantastic work here will get you 65 points toward your total. 

Well done!

GregB

7 comments:

  1. Great figures Stephen, definitely worthy of Benitos Brook. I do Greg one better and avoid Samurai altogether

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Like the vibrant yellow, makes them stand out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking samurai, your a better man than I am!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. A masterful assembly of masterless men - Kurosawa would surely approve! Well done, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was a still from the film! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete