Monday 16 March 2020

From RayR: Reidy's Reef - The Sirens (40 Points)



Thelxiepeia, Peisinoe, and Ligeia are reported to be the names of the Sirens 
according to Suda.
They're quite a handful, literally!
And I was talking about pronouncing their names!!!

I did plan on painting up some boats I've had stashed for far too long, but then saw
 these luvvly ladies on the Col Bill's stand and thought well why not!!


"“Reidy’s Reef” is world renowned for its tranquil beauty and awe inspiring aqua-scapes. 
Dammit, it’s almost as impressive as it’s namesake. However, the seas can churn into
 an angry abyss for any hapless land lubbers or those prone to math errors. The only
 known way to traverse this sea is to paint up a miniature with a nautical theme, 
be it boat, fish, sailor/pirate or aquatic terrain. Bonus points will be awarded if this
 is a new project for you, or that the motive power of the model(s) is provided by sails."


I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them and even if they're ever gonna be used?
I might give them to Postie, for his Pirate range, I'm sure they could cause havoc there.


They were a pretty simple paintjob, although the hardest part was the underwater body parts?
Some rocks are cast along wit the figure, I thought the base need filling out so I added a few more to make the base look a little more busy. Col Bill himself when I showed him a pic, said, that's how he wanted the model but the figure was just too big and couldn't be cast that way.


I'm quite pleased how the white waves turned out, its just several layers of grey to white paint.


The figures can be purchased from Col Bill's here.
As for the points, its 30 for the Challenge and I'll leave it up to the luvvly minion for the rest??

MilesR: Why these are a very lovely addition to the denizens of the reef and I'm sure they only lure "bad" sailors to their grisly fate.  I think they'll fit into one of your "Donnybrook" games.  It's not like those are historical.  I kid, I kid - I really like the Donnybrook rules and highly recommend them.  Also, thanks for remarking that I'm luvvly, I have been trying to loose weight and gussy myself up and I really appreciate that you noticed.....  

15 comments:

  1. Nice job, they’ll fit right into any water feature, perhaps a small pond in a donnybrook game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they distribute swords by any chance? Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking trio of mermaids!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Sirens, Ray! A trap for the unwary sailor if ever there was one!

    Side note - has anyone ever given any thought to how Odysseus' men might have felt about their leader's desire to do ever more dangerous things in pursuit of immortality?

    "...So you stop your ears with wax so you don't get enchanted by their gorgeous song, and row nice and close to the rocks."

    "And what will you do, boss?"

    "I want you to tie me to the mast so I can listen to their song without jumping overboard. That way, I get to be the only man to have heard the Sirens and lived to tell the tale!"

    *pause*

    "Yeah, sure boss... (sotto voce)hey lads, anyone want to throw this glory hound overboard and just set course for home? This clown's gonna get us all killed!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how true. Those Greeks must have been patient, tolerant fellows. I have a suspicion that a variation of this same conversation happens in the Situation Room at the White House on a weekly basis.

      Delete
  5. They look great Ray! The water looks quite convincing actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great entry for this location, and will be great table dressing for future games!

    ReplyDelete