Monday 16 March 2020

From SamuliS: Snow Lord's Peak Challenge

Time for my ascend to Snowlord's Peak or due to the subject probably more aptly my ascend up the Mountain of Madness.


The task I chose from the trio offered was to paint up a monster for my pulp investigators to fight. I didn't want to go with Cthulhu himself nor did I want to pick some of the lesser monsters so in the end decided on the King in Yellow, or Hastur. By the standards of the Cthulhu Mythos he is a fairly nice god who is not bent on consuming the world as we know it, just wanting to plunge it into chaos and madness. And as Hastur has a strong following in Stockholm, the capital of our lovely neighbours, where he is worshipped by the cult called Carcosa Foundation I naturally had to paint some cultists to further his objectives and hinder any investigators that come their way.



Like the other Cthulhu minis I painted this was mainly painted with just Contrast paints over a multicolour basecoat. Brown was sprayed with airbrush to preshade some areas before the contrast paints and after the base colours I did some highlights on Hastur by layering and drybrushing. I didn't want to go too bright on the yellows and figured the dirty look suits the look pretty nicely.





Once again very nice sculpts and packing surprising amounts of detail for board game miniatures. These are a real joy to paint and work as really great appetizers between my different wargaming projects. The bigger monsters do have some annoying gaps to fill and would benefit from painting in subassemblies, but can't complain too much.



__________________________________

Oooh, wonderful work Samuli! I'm sorry we didn't get your Peak post organised for earlier (miscommunication - let's blame Hastur), but I'm happy you just forged ahead and got it done. I really like the colour tones you've used for these figures - they look very, very creepy, especially the russet yellows. Brilliant stuff.

As to points, let's put Hastur and his cultists at 50 points. So, with the location bonus that tips you in for a tidy 80 for your overall score. Nice work!


For your prize I think that these nefarious cultists have a two-fisted hero in which to oppose them, so I present to you Bark's Intrepid Archaeologist!


Awesome work Samuli and thanks for taking the Snow Lord's Challenge!

10 comments:

  1. Eeewwww! Was my first thought when I saw him/her/it, so an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work love the cultests

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work here Samuli. All I can say is YIKES! That is really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rather disturbing model, but an outstanding paintjob! Really like the colour scheme of the acolytes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking figure and great Tommy gun toting acolytes !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work and a well earned prize. Not sure how Indy will like tentacles, a bit much like snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on a really disturbing figure, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only recently played the game and while not a 100 percent convinced by the mechanics, the figures look cool. Love your take on these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ow, my sanity!

    I'm very glad to send you a pulp archaeologist to help out!

    ReplyDelete