Monday 16 March 2020

From TamsinP: Morks (Calling Orsons?) - Docherty's Dock (102 points)



In the universe of Strontium Dog, there is a need to get around on the various colony worlds. Morks were found on one planet and have successfully adapted to many other colony worlds which frequently have large Mork farms or ranches to breed them. As well as being useful as mounts and beasts of burden, they are also a good source of meat (albeit rather tough) and leather.

On such worlds, these hardy beasts are favoured as mounts by outlaws and bounty hunters, as well as by ordinary colonists.


Bubo and the Bad Boys


Bubo and the Bad Boys are Howlers (you may remember Darkus and friends from my post last year), an alien race that frequently prey on colonists.


After one raid by this gang, Johnny and Wulf were contracted to track them down, catching them in the middle of a raid on a train bound from Jobsville.


During the fight, Bubo jammed the train's throttle open, causing it to derail while going over a bridge. Johnny was trapped inside, but Wulf saved him and took him to the nearest settlement for medical attention.


With Johnny being taken care of, Wulf set off on his own to exact vengeance on Bubo's gang.

Johnny Alpha and Wulf Sternhammer





But what if you need to cover long distances fast? Morks are no good for that, which is where hoverbikes come in:


For this trip, Johnny and Wulf have been joined by The Gronk, their alien friend who has medical expertise (but multiple poor, weak heartsies).




And that completes my Strontium Dog collection - I have now painted every miniature in the range (twice for the Stix).

I did check with Dave and he was quite happy for the Morks to be classed as camel equivalents. However, just in case someone objects, here is a camel for you:






And finally a pic with all eight miniatures:


The Strontium Dog figures are from Warlord Games, the 15mm camel is (I think) from Donnington.

These were in fact the last of my planned figures for this year's Challenge. With another 5 and a bit days to go (as I write this on Sunday) I guess I might have to start on another project. The question is which one?

For Scoring:
7 x 28mm mounted* @ 10 = 70 points
1 x 15mm camel @ 2 = 2 points
Docherty's Dock = 30 points

Total = 102 points

* It would be rude to try to claim these as being 40mm figures - they were from Wave 1 where the figures were generally smaller than those of the later waves.

***
Nice work Tamsin, as always.  During the Painting Challenge we always get the chance to see figures for settings and periods I had never heard of and would not consider myself. "Strontium Dog" is not quite my thing, but wow these posts with the figures from the range have been a lot of fun to read and to enjoy - neat, creative back stories and, of course, great painting.  Well done!

As for scoring, if you say 102 points, well, then that's 102 points for you. 

GregB

15 comments:

  1. Lovely work Tamsin. I'll be monitoring your blog for reports of these in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am completely in the dark as to the backgroud of these (and would rather prefer to remain so, I think)these are great figures and the paintjob is marvellous! I really like the "Morks", they are very "realistic" and Johnny and Wulf are quite resplendent in their spiffy outfits, whatever their means of transport. Good job all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to end off a Tamsin, but I suspect you’ll find something else to post this week. Lovely work, but you’ve seriously out wielded Simons post on the WTF scale in my case.

    Nanu nanu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn they're strange looking beasties Tamsin! Nicely painted though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work on these odd beats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely strontium dog and space camels! I'd forgotten "my poor heartsies!"
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Greg - thanks! The back stories are all from the magazines, nothing to do with me. :)

    @ PaulSS - cheers! Wait..what? I'm expected to play games with my painted minis? Are you sure? Hmmm, maybe that could be my task from Curt in AHPC XIII. ;)

    @ Eric - thanks! I suspect that 2000AD passed many people by. :)

    @ PeterD - cheers! I suspect that I will find something else to paint this week. :)

    @ Ray - thanks! :)

    @ Jamie - cheers! :)

    @ Adam - thanks! :)

    @ Iain - cheers! And did you spot that there are three Gronk pelts? (one on the live one and one on each of the Wulf figures). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blast from the past there!

    Terrific work, Tamsin - only a curmudgeon would disqualify these splendid beasties from being classified as camels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again that’s some wonderful work there Tamsin. I have to agree with Greg in that the setting is not for me but damn these are some interesting and weird miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Evan - thanks! :)

    @ Nick - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are amazing. I'm glad they count as camels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Barks - thanks! Dave says they do! :)

    @ Will - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete