Saturday 13 March 2021

Adventurer’s Landing, Mark Backhouse - Crossing the Sabis in 2mm! (26 points)

For the Adventurer’s Landing I decided that I wanted to do an experiment. I made some rivers from foam sheets for an earlier post and wanted to make some crossing troops for a Battle of the Sabis scenario in 57BC. Caesar’s army was taken by surprise by an attack by the ferocious Belgic tribes.
I made three 6” long sections of river. Two of the sections have tribes of crossing

The Nervii warriors were particularly fearsome and the Romans had to fight desperately until they were saved by the arrival of fresh raw legions with the baggage train. Their arrival swung the battle back in the Romans favour. 

The Gauls are made from offcuts of craft foam with a covering of Polyfilla. The individual warriors are literally made out of pieces of grit from my sharp sand box. With a black undercoat and a few colours picked out it is amazing what impression these cheap materials can create!

The Romans are in for a shock!


I’ve added some trees and some larger formations of Belgic tribesmen to show how they will look in the scenario.

I’ve claimed 2 points per section of scratch built river and 20 for completing the challenge.
Total : 26 points
Cheers
Mark Backhouse



 

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant! And entirely convincing. Makes me want to revive my own flagging 2mm project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most impressive Mark! Great to see what can be done with just some random bits and pieces of material that otherwise probably would have ended in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really smart! Great overall impression!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work, Mark.... these looks really great! I love the guys fording the river!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project has been a real education in effects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments. 2mm is a cheap and glorious joy. Well worth experimenting with!

    ReplyDelete