Saturday 13 March 2021

From PhilH: Clash of Beliefs at The Shrine (30 Points)

Thanks to Sarah's teleport, I can tick off the Shrine, with a couple of odd models for my French-Indian War project. First a Jesuit missionary for my French forces. Jesuits settled in "New France" in the colonies and among the Huron in the 1650s, to convert them to Catholicism. So he's a suitable 'holy man' support choice for Sharp Practice. With no experience in the wilderness of the Americas and only their faith to guide them, Jesuits ventured deep into the wilderness, largely unexplored by other Europeans at the time.
Accompanying him at the Shrine is a representatitve of traditional tribal beliefs and 'holy man' for my Iroquois, in this case a member of the enigmatic the False Face Society. These members of a medicinal society of the Iroquois wore carved and painted wooden masks and carried turtleshell rattles, used in healing rituals. A member chose the wood and carved the mask themselves, representing the power of Hadúi (literally: 'our grandfather, he who drives it away', reference to the legendary founder of the society).
Both are from Sash and Saber. Together, they depict two (of many) contrasting traditions of faith in the Americas during the early European colonisation.
Two 28mm models and the Chamber for 30 Points, and one last post from me to come!

14 comments:

  1. That's a very nice Jesuit figure. I enjoyed Black Robe when it came out- in fact I may give it a watch this evening if I can find it. I like the pattern on the bottom of the medicine man's shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black robe? I don’t know it, tell me more

      Delete
  2. Wonderful painting once more Phil! Again the black on your Jesuit looks excellent, but I feel the real star here is the Shaman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great additions to your new collection. I like the subtle pattern on the shaman's jerkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it’s because I was too lazy to black line it…

      Delete
  4. Splendid Jesuit and a lovely Shaman!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Phil. Like the shamans mask and rattle

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great pair, and the mask use is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete