Saturday 13 March 2021

From PhilH: All Out of Chambers, Keeping the Peace with the Guardia Civil (55 Points)

Finally, an entry originally meant for the Guardroom, but I used a different option instead. Adding to my Spanish Civil War forces, a squad of Guardia Civil, one of three paramilitary forces of the Spanish Republic. Established in the mid 19th Century in the style of the French Gendarmerie, they are the oldest law enforcement organisation in Spain.
Guardia Civil are useful for gaming the SCW, as their loyalties split pretty much 50/50 between the Republic and Rebels: they can be a handy support option for either side. They made important contributions, but weren't always trusted by the Republic's other soldiers, in part because of their previous role in putting down civil unrest by the workers (many now serving in the milita or Republican Army). As the SCW is a conflist with fine headwear, they maintain this tradition with their natty black patent leather tricorns.
As many members threw in their lot with the Nationalist cause they survived into the Francoist era to the modern day, and absorbed the members and duties of the Carabineros (Frontier Guards). Three officers
Eight Rankers
They're from Empress Miniatures. Eleven 28mm models, for 55 Points thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome as ever Phil! I agree, they'll come in handy for both sides. Just as your tank from earlier this week. I hope there's still more SCW up your sleeve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for a while I think Nick. I really should progress other projects.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! These are beautiful Phil and they remind me of my first foray into the period. Stunning brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I had yours firmly in mind as I worked on mine.

      Delete
  3. I’ve always loved those figures, you’ve done them proud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid looking Guardia Civil,gorgeous finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great, that uniform shade is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! It’s Vallejo German Uniform

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, very kind of you to say so.

      Delete