Saturday 13 March 2021

From Guy B: [Chamber of Darkness] Fifty shades of Scots grey? [230 points]

I have an odd disability for an editor - I'm mildly dyslexic. It means I have to be careful and generally read through things twice. So when I read the Chamber of Darkness initially, I thought "Great! I can get some Covenanter Scots painted!"...


The miniatures are a mixture of Warlord plastics and Perry Miniatures. I have some Foundry as well to mix in which will break up any uniformity with the Warlord poses. 


The command wasn't ready in time, so I'll probably post these later. 


The pikes are a mixture of metal and plastic, the Warlord ones tend to break but as pikes are in short supply, I'm still using them. 

So I did paint... a lot of them. 41 completed, with some shotte and command half finished. That was until a friend of mine suggested I read the challenge again and see what it actually said! So it meant using a grey scale only... Oh dear!!!!

So I decided to paint some rocks as well, so I met the criteria... these are 3D printed with Mr Smoother applied, to remove most of the graininess. The rocks are all greyscale, and even involved various Vallejo greys! Challenge completed, sort of!

I attempted to speckle one of the rocks to make it look realistic. This was quite laborious but the finished rock looks good (better on the table than in photography). If I paint any more, I'll add the odd bit of lichen in greens and browns.

So I estimate 205 points for the 41 Scots and 5 points for the rocks, plus a 20 point challenge bonus equals 230 points!

6 comments:

  1. Ahem... well, that's maybe stretching the envelope a bit. Well, quite a bit actually.
    Anyway, I'll let it pass this one time because you've done such a nice job on those Scots. They look suitably battle hardened and will put the fear of god into those pesky English, no doubt.
    But I'm a little curious, why on earth would one print rocks? Or is this because of Lock Down that it's hard to get ones hands on the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scots look great! Got a chuckle over the misreading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking dour Scots! Read twice, paint once?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Guy - as one who has “stretched” a few room definitions this Challenge, I heartily approve of your submission!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely work. I do have a question. Not being dyslexic I do understand the consequences but I don't understand the details of how it works, what did you think it said. The rocks look cool, the sparkly bits will be muskovite which would probably make it a granite, which means it a little too dark. Geology nerd signing off

    ReplyDelete