Sunday 9 January 2022

From SimonG: A One Eyed Giant plus my first trip on Sarah's Star Yacht (60 points)

A little bit of a mixed bag this week with two very different sets of figures. Firstly landing adjacent to Caprica we arrive at Arda and deliver something fantastic and Tolkeinish -- Bronte the Cycolopean Norse giant!


Bronwen is a Black Rose Wars figure from the Stator expansion set (I've used a lot of these figures last year) and is a 50mm or so plastic sculpt. Quality is pretty good with plenty of interesting detail to work with.



I especially liked how the flames and glowing effects came out this time, I'm continuing to work on this sort of thing. Plus eyes which really pull a figure together.





Leaving Arda we hitch our first trip on Lady Sarah's Star Yacht courtesy of these two medieval sisters -- you can almost hear the conversation with the younger "lady in red" insisting that yes she is going to go off on Lady Sarah's caravan to the stars despite her elder sister wanting to stay and help look after her cousin!



These are Wargames Foundry figures -- a smallish 28mm but work well as table decoration for my Hundred Year War project. Nice work on the hair this time, plus my first time painting on nostrils (somehow they seemed necessary although not sure how many will be inspecting the figures from below)





Anyway I hope this carries me on to my next stop Glorantha where we should find some of Muninn's brothers and sisters!

Points wise I make this 10 points for Bronwen (54mm size figure) plus 20 points for the stop on Arda, then two 28mm figures makes another 10 points and 20 for Sarah's Star Yacht for a total of 60.

[For those that take an interest in these things many of these photos are focus stacked macro shots, I use Focus Stacker on a Mac plus a Nikkor AFS 105 1:28G mounted on a D750]

_______________________


Lovely work Simon. The Cyclops/One-Eyed Giant looks very imposing with his single gazing eye (and two scary hammers!), but I have to say that the two sisters are my favourite of this submission. The grouping is spot on for their sibling conversation and I really like the groundwork as well. As hobbyists, we spend countless hours trying to perfect camouflage, heraldry and uniforms, but we rarely consider the importance of nostrils. I think you're onto something here, Simon. :)

Great work!

- Curt


24 comments:

  1. Some very nice painting again, Simon! And the base on the ladies is magnificent - as I expect the nostrils to be, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. Funnily enough that’s just sawdust and one bush - but the heather mix suited the two figures well. Promise I’ll include “up the nose” shots next time 😉

      Delete
  2. Lovely figures and painting, Simon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasmin, nice to have a mix of things to work on

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, although that big fellow did slow me down somewhat this week

      Delete
  4. I can almost hear the conversation of the sisters! “You know, I heard there was a goblin boarding Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht this morning! Those goblins are known trouble makers. You should stay home”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “That’s why I’ve got this big jug of strong red wine … everyone knows those gobboes can’t resist a tipple” 😵‍💫

      Delete
  5. Excellent figures Simon. That giant is awesome, but like Curt I like the villagers best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, it’s always good to have some civilians around to add colour to the war games table

      Delete
  6. Another great entry, that giant is so full of character and painted so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry -- I like how old Bronte came out although I then found out the flames on his hammer are supposed to be blue (but that seems cheesy to me!)

      Delete
  7. Lovely flesh tones on that Giant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I was going to go with all sorts of fancy shadings and washes but somehow the base tone, one wash and a few light highlights seemed all that was needed. Sometimes less is more 😃

      Delete
  8. Really great one eyed giant 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, got some other fun folks lined up for later in the series

      Delete
  9. Excellent work! That giant looks ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, really appreciate your kind words

      Delete
  10. Great looking giant and nice pair of cousins!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great brushwork Simon, like that giant model not seen that before

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt -- LMS Studios do make some great miniatures for all of their games, they paint up very well despite being plastic

      Delete