Sunday 9 January 2022

From MilesR: 10mm Byzantines and some 15mm WW2 (368 Points)

Before going into my first submission for the Challenge, I would like to apologize for being a little distracted and slow off the mark.  It seems I foolishly scheduled a knee replacement for early December' 21 and didn't factor in that the recovery process would impeded my ability to paint as I couldn't sit at my painting bench, hence the rather slow start.  I am also bitterly disappointed that the surgeon elected not to follow my wishes and make the incision look like a shark bite.  Something about "professional standards" or other balderdash.   Well my recovery has progressed to the point I can sit for a few hours at a time and some have started work on one 2022's big projects - Manzikert - in glorious 10mm scale.

So here is the start of the Byzantine army - most of these are test paints as I'm not that familiar with 10mm scale.  10mm has taken our club by storm and there are a number of other 10mm projects in the works.


The final force will be roughly 3x this size with also a correspondingly sized Turkish force.  All of these figures are from Magister Militum but you will eventually see some from Pendraken too.  Maybe even some Mongols for fun.


On the right flank we have some Medium cavalry lancers, a unit of partially armored cataphracts and some staff slingers in the rear


In the center we have some different sized leadership stands, 2 large units of spear armer heavy Infantry and 2 smaller units of Guards.  I'm building this army to be used for just about any point in Byzantine history so there will be a very wide variety of troop types. Don't worry, there are some Varangian Guards in the pipeline.


On the left flank there is a unit of Buccelari - my favorite Byzantine unit.  a second unit of partially armored cataphracts and some Pisoli light infantry in the rear.

This force is meant to be a "Thematic" army and not the core professional force of the Tagmata - to be honest, I'm trying to hone my limited 10mm painting skills before attempting the Tagmata and Varangian Guards.

Also in this submission are a handful of WW2 East front troops that just didn't get done in time for my Stalingrad game at Historicon.  Namely a german early way Panzer Grenadier Platoon and 2 3d printed Su-76's

You'll likely be seeing a lot of 3d resin printed stuff over the next few weeks

Well there you have it, my first rather late submission for this years challenge.  Hopefully I can pick up the pace as my Physical Therapy progresses.





In terms of points, lets see:


10mm Infantry 198 = 198 points
10mm Cav 59 = 118 points

15mm Inf 18 = 36 points
15mm Tanks 2 = 16 points

Total Points: 368

My new painting partner, Gus, says hi!





____________________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge, Miles! I know you've been on the road to recovery, so its wonderful to see you finally be able to spend some time at the hobby table - you've been missed!

These Byzantines look excellent. I love the 10mm scale as it provides such a wonderful balance between figure detail and visual mass. These troops look very impressive all arrayed in their ranks and files. What rules will you be using for these? Is this a group effort with your mates from the club?

I also like, Gus, your painting companion. He looks very patient and attentive, a good combination in your current, fragile state. :)

I look forward to seeing the upcoming Varangian Guard!

- Curt

20 comments:

  1. Those Byzies look the biz, Miles! :)

    Hello to Gus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 368 pts in a single entry Miles? That surgery really is slowing you down.😋 I imagine those those SU-76's would be a welcome addition to any Byzantine army...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Gus has been a huge help during recovery as he is a constant source of inspiration to get up and walk around. This is a club project but I'll do most of the painting. I think it will make a great game and Byzantines are useful for lots of other periods

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to hear your on the mend . A great first entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. These area great, Miles! Byzantines are such an interesting army, and you have done them proud. I am so pleased you are recovering well after the surgery.... look after yourself and all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great if delayed out put Miles, love to see some Byzantines. Gus looks like very good company, enjoy it until his rightful owner has you arrested for dog knapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add that I hope you have a speedy recovery.

      Delete
  7. great figures

    but i am so envious about gus.

    i have cats just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gus was a 34th wedding anniversary present from my wife - best anniversary present EVER!

      Delete
  8. Wow! Nice paint bomb. What do think of the 10mm to paint? And to play with?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes on a speedy recovery, keep those legs moving. Great figures but I reckon the dog steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a nice start to an army, well done and good luck with the recovery and dog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to hear you are back at your painting bench Miles! Hope your recovery continues well! Great Byzantines. Always likes the Manzikert Campaign. So many different what-if possibilities. Will you be painting some Normans? I can highly recommend the History of Byzantium podcast if you are in need of some inspirational listening material for while you paint. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work on those microscopic little Byzantines!

    And kudos for pic of the cutie too :>)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Byzantines! Fantastic!!! I guess I should get cracking on some of those as well...

    And I love Gus! Where would we be without the support of our painting dogs and cats?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous work on those Byzantines! But I‘m afraid to say Gus is the real star here. What a good boi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant Miles, top bombing 💣 Manzikert is something I've looked at a few times. Will be keeping an eye on your progress 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dog! Decent looking Byzantines and Germans too of course, but nice dog!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. fabulous looking army Miles

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete