Sunday 9 January 2022

From Kerry T (valleyboy) - P is for Pointy Sticks (270 points)

Afternoon, Evening and Morning all

That was a nice long Christmas break which meant more painting days than usual. This has resulted in the completion of my third and so far my biggest unit beginning with the letter P - this time under the guise of  P is for Pointy sticks

As I'm using the AHPC to make inroads into my lead-pile I chose Pointy Sticks because it is loose enough to allow me considerable latitude (or indecision if you like) in my choice of unit. My overall aim is to make progress on my new Barons War project, finish my ECW Royalist army, start their Parliamentary opponents, make some progress on my very slow burn Italian Wars project, maybe knock off a few Vikings and generally add a unit or two other longer standing and more complete armies.

In the end I decided to paint some cavalry because this allowed me to take a decent bite into my points target as well and these Footsore Miniature Norman Cavalry could double up at a pinch and be incorporated into my Crusader Army.

Duke William of Normandy


Footsore make 3 different packs of heavy cavalry


The Warlord and Banneman pack leads the way

The first thing you'll probably notice is the different basing, some being based singly and others in threes on a 60 x 60 mm base. Did I mention I was indecisive?

The reason for the differing basing is that they can add to my Crusader army but having some on single bases will allow me to build a Norman Army for Footsore's new "Conquest" supplement for the Barons war rules. I'm hoping to use some of my old Dux Britanniarum forces for this as well. When I bought the figures originally I had intended to base them in threes but this was before I knew about the Conquest rules



I don't think I'v ever painted 27 cavalrymen in a week before but I try and use a Speed Painting Method that gives reasonable results having cobbled together a technique that works for me.


The Dark Side! showing the larger bases and a few bendy spears

One thing I've also made myself do in recent  years is try to match my figure basing to my table base though I don't use ant tufts on the latter



It goes without saying that I've used LBSM shield transfers here, I don't mind painting the odd stripey shield but anything more complex or heraldic is beyond me. My previous attempts at heraldic beasts usually look like they've been finger painted by a 3 year old! 

I notice in the hot weather here that my Vallejo's not sticking too well and frequently rubbed off as I painted and quite a bit of touching up was needed to cover bare metal - I don't normally varnish figures but I think I'm going to have to do this now with this lot.

Now that the holiday's are over I doubt I'll manage another unit in the next week - this challenge is taking over and rather than start my next offering this afternoon I made myself go out in the garden and protect these from the birds just in case my wife feels like baking another pie!


I can't help but notice many of you are whizzing around, from planet to planet and I love all the "weird" stuff that you are painting to do this. I think I'm going to settle for the quiet life and just sit in the corner here in the bar on Sarah's yacht with a drink it my hand while chomping through your share of the peanuts!


Best wishes 
(Hopefully 270 points and another squirrel)

_____________________________________

Lovely work Kerry! 27 cavalry figures in a week? Now, that's very impressive, especially as these fellows certainly don't look like a rush job. I also like your basework and your terrain boards. I put on so many periods and themes that mats make the most sense, but I do love a nice, custom terrain board.  I'm also a big fan of the LBSM shield transfers - they look so darn smart when done right. Well done!

270 points it is. Enjoy your peanuts!   

- Curt

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous Norman cavalry, Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent looking Norman militias Kerry! Very impressive turnout for one week. Please see GregB’s post for Canadian weather currently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking Normans/Crusaders - I think they want to play SAGA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Normans! That is an impressive turn out for one week! They look great on your table too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, Curt - the terrain boards are old TSS polystyrene tiles that I brought to NZ with me 22 years ago and tarted up with sand and flock. I've never played SAGA Scooba and I already have too many rule sets! Best wishes with the weather

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a lot of 28mm cavalry in one week and the level of painting is great, too! I like the idea to match your forces to your table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed! They look great all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Ut! Ut! Ut!".... erm, dunno what got a hold of me.... lovely work Kerry T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible output Kerry - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely lovely work and like you I’m a big fan of LBMS stuff. Footsore does some great stuff and you’ve painted them well.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smashing job mate, lovely mounted pointy sticks 👍 I'll sit with you in the bar as I'm giving the planets a miss 😁

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ken - I'm sure I'' enjoy our company. Do you want me to put one lump or two of sugar in your dirty mucky coffee! :-)

      Delete
  12. Thank you all once again for the positive vibes, I'm flagging this week though

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking Norman cavalry, a weeks work? Wow!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the pointing stick Normans!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful knights! I've got some to paint that have been floating about for years.

    ReplyDelete