Sunday 9 January 2022

From PeterD Ruins at Arda (115 points)

 


The planet Arda carries a Fantasy theme, so I've gone with this Giant attacking a tower in 28mm.  Just for fun note that the top two levels of the tower are removable allowing me to do this.


In an homage to this classic DnD module...


Ok let's break down the components here.  


First up is the Giant, who is a Wizkids Stone Giant in 28mm scale.  I will note that the figure is about 90mm from sole of foot to top of head and that the tower he's standing next to is 6" high (152mm) for comparison.  I will leave scoring him up to the Snowlord.  In the Beowulf adventures Giants are more generic than straight DnD, but I tried to keep to the Stone Giant Theme.  It's a nice sculpt with facial features midway between an Easter Island Moai and Grace Jones.

Backside view as I am thinking that's the view my adventurers want to see!

Next up are the human foes who are from the Gipping Beast Arthurian (mostly) and other ranges.  I painted the fighters up to represent the Comitatus of a local Warlord, using the red tunics and shields with double headed dragons to provide a unit theme.
.  

I will come back and touch ups he shields but wanted to get these posted today.


The seventh figure is the Merlin figure who has a lot of the age old mystery to him. I love the metal bird on his staff, is it the Eagle of the Ninth?  Seven 28mm figures is 35 points.


These are good solid Beastie boy figures, lots of individual differences.  They can serve in Beowulf adventures as friends, foes or neutrals as required.  I my also do some Sub-Roman Britain skirmish games using Lion Rampant or Dux B.   

Finally we have the Ruins which I am revealing in full glory below.  This is a Sarissa Ruined City set consisting of 8 modular bases that can be rearranged as suits the scenario or decided in to smaller ruins.  I figure it can serve as a Roman ruin in Beowulf, or a generic ruin for other RPGs os Moonstone for later period historical games.  The total set covers an area 8" by 16", and is mostly 3" tall except for the tower which is 6' tall.  My math makes this exactly 2 cubes of terrain for 40 points.

Arrangement 1

Arrangment 2

Arrangement 3

Points wise I cout up

  • 35 points for the humans
  • 40 points for the 2 cubes of ruin
  • ? points for the Giant
  • 20 points for the Arda location
  • Merlin and the Giant should count against the forlorn hope of the Challenge Duel
Having completed four planets on the Outer Ring, I am ready to explore the Middle Ring and all step on one of the Warp Maelstorms either side of Arda to see where I end up.



_________________________________

Fabulous work Pete!

I've seen that giant at the FLGS and was really impressed by it. Now, all painted up and based he looks magnificent indeed (love the X2 Module reference too). I really like those Dark Age Gripping Beast figures. They paint up so nicely, and you've done a terrific job on this group, especially that Merlin with his trophy staff (Rosemary Sutcliff would smile at that). Finally, that castle ruin is a wonderful piece of kit. I like how it can be broken down and set up in a variety of layouts - very versatile! As a suggestion for further weathering, you may consider pimping it out with some swaths of grass, flowers and tufts (especially along the foundations) as Mother Nature would be busy at work reclaiming it.
 
For simplicity sake I'm counting the Giant as the equivalent of two 54 mm figures. 

A grand entry Pete, well done.

- Curt 

30 comments:

  1. I remember that D&D module well! Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Never played it myself but I remember the cover.

      Delete
  2. Great giant, Peter! The other figures are pretty nifty too! :)

    The modular ruins look pretty useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin. I was pretty pleased with how the big galoot turned out. I am hoping to find lots of uses for the ruins.

      Delete
  3. Your description of the giant is spot on! Fantastic submission!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good group of adventurers, great giant and handy ruins! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for the kind words. Working on the Giant and tower simultaneously triggered the memory of the old module..

    The Wizkids giant is a lovely figure and paints up well. I may need some others….
    I did add some foliage, weeds etc to the ruins but kept them around the walls to make maneuvers easier. But there’s always room for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking creations Peter - love the giant

    ReplyDelete
  7. "... facial features midway between an Easter Island Moai and Grace Jones.
    Oh LOLOLOL... post is gold!🤣

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great entry, that Giant is just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to replicate that old (proper) D&D box art. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it wasn’t planned but it just seemed to work

      Delete
  10. This is great stuff Peter - where can I find those ruins? I love the look of those!

    The giant - what a crazy figure. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Greg. Here’s the link on the ruins
      https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/the-ruined-city
      They are aimed at Frostgrave but really have many, many uses.

      Delete
  11. Very well done Pete! Love the giant

    ReplyDelete
  12. Giants knocking down towers, what's not to like, top job mate !

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking giant,sub Romans and the ruins are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Really pleased with how they turned out. I should get good value from the ruins

      Delete
  14. Fabulous Peter, that giant looks splendid

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a creepy giant, and the ruins are very clever.

    ReplyDelete