Sunday 9 January 2022

From Barks: Ruffians [Arda] (145 points)

 I've started thinking of these wuffians as wascally wapscallions and it is hard to stop...

Ruffians

Being a LotR tragic, I really like the Scouring of the Shire. For the uninitiated (spoiler)- having returned lost jewellery, Frodo et al. return to The Shire only to find it has been taken over by bands of thugs. The stage is set for conflict between ordinary hobbits and these brutes.

These are eBay rescues. I was pleasantly surprised to find some Forgeworld characters thrown in, as well as two nicely converted Wildmen of Dunland. I really like the browns in the Contrast range, which did most of the work. It is no small effort to ensure no two figures are alike. I used Vallejo rattlecan matt varnish for the first time, and I'm pleased to find it is really good (but smells awful). Testors Dullcote is hard to source, and this will replace it for me. It is almost too good, as it dulls metallics to a grey.


Thugs

Blackguards

Scum

Villainy

Converted Wildmen

Forgeworld characters

25x 28mm figures: 125 points

Location Bonus (Arda): 20 points

Slowpainter's ABC: V for Villains


___________________________

Ah yes, I love those last few chapters of LotR, and it's great to see a skilled hobbyist such as yourself, Barks, to bring it to (miniature) life. 

Great eBay score, especially with those Forge World 'specials', and you've done an excellent job in making theme into a fine mob of rapscallions. I agree, the browns in the Contrast range are brilliant and thanks for the Vallejo matt spray endorsement. I still have a few cans of Dullcote left, but I will be needing to look for an alternative if I can't find a resupply. 

Again, excellent villains, Barks, but I'm sure our Hobbit heroes can handle them.

- Curt

35 comments:

  1. More Lord of the Rings? Love it. Great paint job and excellent ebay find

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done Barks! They look like quite a mean bunch. I tend to do metallics after varnishing nowadays as it avoids them becoming grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My habit is metallic and black wash, which sometimes comes out glossy. A final silver drybrushing after varnish, perhaps.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done "wuffians", Barks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ruffians Barks! Scouring of the Shire is interesting book, lots of scenarios with low quality troops, but I have not yet created neither of the forces...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking painting, I’m a huge fan of the contrast browns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to get my hands on the AP Speedpaints, I hope they're similar.

      Delete
  6. A great collection of scallywags!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great villainous horde Barks! Give them Neon signs spouting nonsense and they could be protesting COVID restrictions and vaccines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt a force for freedom and personal liberties.

      Delete
  8. There has been so much LotR goodness in the Challenge so far this year! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb, those faces are so full of expression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think they're Perry sculpts- if anyone knows, do tell!

      Delete
  10. Cracking work and lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Barks - loving the LOTR stuff.
    Observing the utter vacancy and lack of ideas from studios (Hollywood or otherwise), I am sure that Amazon will shortly announce a six-part movie focused solely on the Scouring of the Shire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda wish Jackson and Weta would go there...

      Delete
  12. Those look great, nice job Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cracking group of LotR goodies 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking bunch of villains!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. fantastic Barks, a fine collection addition

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete