Saturday 19 March 2022

AdamC Timeraire Class and other ships (122.5)

When I found that Simon Mann had created a file for the Temeraire-class  I decided I had to buy it and have my friend Arofan print some up for me.  They are the four big ships in the middle.

The Timeraire class might be the most widely produced warships in history with 120 ships produced in France and around Europe.  At least 4 nations used ships of this class: France, England, Spain and the Netherlands.  In addition two English ship of the line classes the Pompée and America class where copies of the design.


These two French Ships of the line will probably serve under many names and flags that's the great thing about this design.  AS these two are the original French I can claim a Squirrel point. 


Here we have an English example a bit less bright after years on blockade.  I haven't named her at this time as I intend these ships to transfer back and forth among several fleets.  


Simon Man does a nice job other the sterns of these ships so I don't need to raid the bits box. 


With 120 ships in a class some of them are bound to have interesting stories and suggest alternate histories. In 1806 two French Temeraires got caught in a storm and had to make landfall in Annapolis Maryland for repairs. They were Patriote & Eole; Eole was eventually broken up and her guns sent to Fort McHenry. 
 

Patriote was eventually repaired and returned to France but I was struck by the Idea that a French Ship of the Line was siting in an American port for almost 10 years.  Did we ever consider buying her? Could we have gotten her in fighting shape by 1812?  I haven't seen any evidence this was done (other then her consorts guns ending up in an American Fort) but it suggests some fun ideas for the game table. So I present USS Patriot providing the option of a US Ship of the line that historically could have been available in 1812. 

Having done on US ship it seemed a shame not to do another and get the Squirrel point so her is USS Alliance One of the Frigates built in Massachusetts during the War of Independence and one of the few to survive the war. 
Her service was nothing spectacular but she was a successful raider of commerce and carried Ben Franklin to France and she survived the war (most US frigates were destroyed or captures by the Royal Navy) then entered merchant service. 
A French Frigate of the Pallas class another Simone Mann design. 
Two English Frigates Virgine class on the left and Pallas on the right both French designs captured and taken into Royal Navy service.  
The Virginie has a very distinctive sweep to the stern like a race car while the Pallas is more squared. 
On example of the Pallas class taken into the royal navy is the HMS Java  one of USS Constitutions opponents in the war of 1812.  You can get a send of how much bigger Constitution is comparing the modals (though scale between manufactures is dodgy I think they got it close)
A few game aids two turn markers and a wind compass. 
The Compass is magnetized so it can turn.  Points the Ships are easy 15 points each with 8 ships results in 120 point.  The games aids may I suggest half a point(.5) for each turn templates and 1.5 for the Wind compass I mostly suggest 1.5 to get rid of the unsightly .5 in my points total.  I should get 2 squirrel points for 30 point of American Ships and 45 Points of French. 

I may have one more post if can get in some brush time later today.  I think will fall short of my target number even so but given that I lost almost two weeks of productivity suffering from Covid I think I will call it a successful challenge.  Thanks for a great time if I don't see you again before its over.  Naval Challenge folks send me a picture of all the ships you painted so we can have our Fleet Review and vote of this years Grand Admiral. 

_______________________

What a wonderful fleet of ships, Adam. I'm amazed that, for several years now, you've been fully absorbed with age-of-sail ship production - I admire your focus.

Thank you for participating in this year's edition of the Challenge, Adam! I hope to have you aboard Challenge XIII when it sets sail next winter.

- Curt

 


8 comments:

  1. Thanks Curt it's been a pleasure and what can I say I love ships especially from the age of sail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very much enjoyed your ships this Challenge Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fantastic looking tall ships for your various fleets. Nice work, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking ships Adam. I like the idea of the repurposed french liner serving in the USN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuff of nautical legends Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ships to add your collection, Adam!

    ReplyDelete