Saturday 19 March 2022

From SimonG: One Final Post -- A Pixie and a Nobody (52 points)

Last stop I suddenly found myself stranded on Lune with my delightful slug lady. Having already visited Terra and Xanth I need to avail myself of Lady Sarah's Interplanetary Taxi Service once again and as payment offer up delightful young Rosa the pixie!


Rose is again a Black Rose Wars figure from Ludus Magnus Studios but very different in style from most of their offerings. Like the baby dragon and griffin I submitted last year this is in an anime style and presents a different sort of painting challenge -- naturalism need not apply! 








I did enjoy going to town on the big eyes (without any etched guides to work off) and freckles -- hope you like how she turned out.  Also thanks for the advice from Tamsin on colour selection off a prior post 👍


I'll be gifting this one to my wife Katie as she really liked the result. Anyway with Rosa's assistance we have jetted off to Gethen for one final touch down and the completion of my circumnavigation of the three rings. Arriving on Gethen we find that epitome of absence -- Davide Schaivon the Illusionist.


I think this is as good as one could hope for an execution of an invisible man figure. Some of the absences such as the one on the boot on the staff are very well done. The cloak is the biggest weakness of this figure -- it's just too big and bulky. The blouse is also rather fussy and was hard to detail. Finally all of the chalky masks were just a pain in the butt to manage -- oh well we have to take a shot at everything!





Once again he's a BRW figure -- as one of the main playable characters he's a sold 35-40mm scale figure (Rosa topped out at less than 25mm but with that big face lets call her a 28mm).  This means that my final total for this ultimate submission is another 52 points (one 28mm and one 40mm figure plus two bonuses).



While I've fallen well short of my target this time around it's been great fun coming along for the ride again and I've really appreciated all of the positive feedback received plus seeing everyone else's work. It's impressive in the diversity of subjects, styles and submitters and great evidence that this hobby is alive and prospering!

Looking forward to seeing you all again in nine months time!


__________________________

Oh, I love both of these figures, Simon. While the Invisible Man is terrific (I especially like his assortment of masks), I have to say that the Pixie takes the prize with that wonderfully rendered face. I'm sure your wife will be delighted with her.

Thank you for joining us this year, Simon, and I hope to see you with us again when the wind grows cold and the snow flies.

- Curt

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin -- not sure the photos really brought all the shades of red and green (I'll get better lighting for next year)!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful figures Simon! You’ve done a great job with both - I can’t choose a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha -- I appreciate all of your kind feedback over the course of the challenge

      Delete
  3. Two very different, but beautifully painted minis. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart -- good pieces to finish on I think 😀

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry -- there's a Pixies (band) reference buried in there as well!

      Delete
  5. Excellent figures Simon. I need to worry about flesh tones with an invisible man!
    Love the pixie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I anguished for hours over what colours to use for his face 😉. Glad Rosa met with your approval 🌷

      Delete
  6. That Pixie looks like trouble if you ask me, you really gave her a great expression mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! She’d probably give you a quick thump with that rose branch 🤕

      Delete
  7. The invisible man is incredible sculpt, although I agree on the thickness of the cloak.
    Pixie is very pretty, I like her eyes and freckels, very beautiful indeed and a good gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. The original art had a much more magical and flowing cape (https://giopunk.artstation.com/projects/3o6W1E) but I guess that was tough to model! Glad you liked Rosa 😁

      Delete
  8. Very cute! I like the freckles. The invisible man is clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. She’s a right Pippi Longstocking pixie 😉

      Delete