Saturday 19 March 2022

In days of olde when Knights were bold....P is for Posh - from Kerry T (170 points and 3 Squirrels)

 Morning, afternoon and Evening all

In days of old and Knights wereore bold, and Barons held their sway,

A warrior bold, with spurs of gold,sang merrily his lay,sang merrily his lay,

My love is young and fair, my love hath golden hair,

and eyes so blue, and heart so true, that none with her compare,

So what care I, though death be nigh, I'm live for love or die....


Actually I'm not one for blondes myself and that sounds like ye old merry bullshit...

There are of course more modern versions but the ones I've just read are to rude for me to print here

This is my 12th P unit and this time P is for Posh or important

What could be more posh than a knight?

Standard belonging to Gilbert de Clare but I've yet to paint a personality figure for him

These offerings are from Footsore Miniatures Barons War range and there are eight of them including the Eustace of Lowham personality figure leading the way over the bridge



Ideally I would like to have painted more than 8 but I started painting the horses on the other 6 I have before the challenge started. I haven't planned any particular retinues and have been aimlessly painting various figures though will in the long run I think have a retinue for William Marshall, Llewelyn Fawr, and Templars to represent a religious fanatic retinue. Like most of my projects it started with "oh look shiny" and has just been an enjoyable painting project







Even Knights run away it seems

In deciding what to paint up as posh I'd always intended to finish some knights but..

Posh of course can have another meaning as in Posh or Gawdy
There's nothing more Gawdy than a Landsknecht is there?


Have big gun will travel

Figures from Wargames Foundry that I've had for aeons


This week ith only 8 knights to paint and a little more time than I had anticipated I decided to tackle more of the leadpile (actually itemised here 2 years ago https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/2020/05/10/the-lead-pile/ - )

The other thing that I wanted to make a start on were some more foot troops for the Italian Wars.
I think I have enough Pikemen now with around 430 Pikemen, Landsknecht and Swiss - these are a mixture of Artizan, Warlord and  Old Glory

What I don't have though are enough missile troops and Swordsmen and halbediers.
Some time ago I bought a box of Landsknecht with Zweihanders from Warlord Games and just wanted to see if they match with their metal Pikemen. I'd bought the Pikemen a few years earlier when they were first being sold by Warlord.


A test paint of 6 figures


They do look ok together I think though I wonder if they're a little on the small side for burly 2 handed swordsmen. This was certainly my impression when they were at the unbased and undercoated stage

Here I've taken the liberty of putting them in front of a unit of previously painted Warlord Pike
I thought it best to put them in front of a reasonably big Pike block as Ken Reilly is wandering around!


I'm not sure what to do with these going forward - separate units of swordsmen and halbediers? A mixture of both and how to base them. Any bright ideas?

So there we have it, a trio of Posh units

8 Knights at 80 points
8 Landsknecht crew and 2 guns 60 points
6 Zweihanders at 30 points
Total 170 points and hopefully 3 squirrels (Total Squirrels so far should be 21 I think)

I'm pleased to say that I've reached both my  points and 12 P units target and originally this would have been my last post. (Cue bugle sound).

However I wasn't able to get to golf last Wednesday afternoon and had the following 2 days off because of a cough. So with a few extra painting days I hope to offer a final post tomorrow provided I can finish the basing. I should I suppose with continuity in mind label that one as P is for Pestilence!

_________________________________

Oh, lovely brushwork Kerry! Those cavalry are spectacular in their brightly coloured caparison and bannerman. I'm also quite taken with your Italian Wars artillery and the doppelsoldners with their zweihanders. As to your question, I have mine both based within the unit (as small vignettes) and also some individually based to signify when they would emerge to do their nasty work ('Furioso' models this within its rules, which provides great flavour).

I look forward to seeing your next post to close your Challenge!

- Curt





14 comments:

  1. Like most of my projects it started with "oh look shiny"…Relatable!
    Sorry to hear that your golfing didn’t happen and that you were feeling poorly, but I am looking forward to another entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a disease - the shiny thing not the cough! What I do want top say though Natasha is a very big thank you to you as your positivity and encouragement to us all throughout the whole challenge has been immense and your enthusiasm infectious!

      Delete
    2. Happy to hear the cough isn’t a disease! It is very easy for me to be enthusiastic and positive with this terrific group of people. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Curt, I'm not sure what rules I'm going to use yet. Thank you once again for your encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on those caparison Kerry - love the neat and regular lions - I know how tricky it is to get these consistent and yours look perfect. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon but they are courtesy of Citadel Six transfers which I omitted to point out

      Delete
  4. Don’t knock, oh look shiny. Very nice work, love the knights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work Kerry, these look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work, all of the minis look great.

    Squirrelfinder General hat on though, aren't Landsknecht Artillery and Landsknecht with Zweihanders both part of the same army? If so they count for only 1 Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Stuart if you say so, but I perhaps mistakenly thought there was a distinction between the 3 arms, artillery, cavalry and infantry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting on these mate specially those colourful kniggits!

    ReplyDelete