Saturday 19 March 2022

From ForestP: 6mm Sci-fi Buildings to close out the challenge (50 points)

Well, it's been a while since I've posted. I doubled my points estimate, and frankly my painting slowed down as work picked up. I intended this challenge to be a source of self-care for myself, and I believe that it did the job admirably. Well, that and the weeklong vacation my wife and I took to visit her family this past week. We returned just in time from the vacation for me to get this last post up. That was truly some much needed self-care.

I don't know who makes these buildings. I know they are resin, and they are scaled for 6mm (1/300) miniatures, and I believe I bought them a decade or more ago to use with Battletech mechs. If anyone know who made these please post up a message. I actually painted these buildings a couple weeks ago as an exercise to try out my brand new airbrush, a Neo for Iwata. I'm still getting used to the airbrush, so in concentrating on the process I wasn't as diligent as I normally am with regards to noting colors. I did use some of the ColorShift paints from Turbo Dork as you can see.  I'll just let the photos do the talking for me on this last post.

Here's the lot. You can see some primed, but not yet painted buildings in the background.

The color shift paints really look nice here. Notice the purple-to-gold gradient on the left building.

Another shot showing the whole lot.

Ruined version of the gold/bronze-green building.

Interesting little silo buildings.

Housing blocks, I think.

Little squat buildings, maybe for a futuristic strip mall?

For those who are interested, the building dimensions are as follows:
The two large brightly colored buildings are 3.75" x 2.5" x 3.5" 
The destroyed brightly colored building is 3.75" x 2.5" x 3.5" 
The building with the satellite dish is 3.25" x 2.5" x 3.5" 
The two squat (strip mall) buildings are 2" x 2" x 0.5" 
The six housing blocks are 1.25" x 1" x 1.25" 
The four silo buildings are 1.5" x 1.5" x 2" 

I'm just going to estimate my points and whichever minion approves this can give a true points total:

2.5 x 6" cubes @ 20 = 50 points

I look forward to participating next year, and I think I'll shoot for a higher score next time!

Forest

From Millsy:

These are absolutely wonderful Forest! I've no idea who makes them, but I think they are some of the coolest 6mm sci-fi terrain I've seen in long time. I love all the little details you've picked out like the roof hatches, highlights on the windows and the subtle shades you've applied to the concrete. I've never heard of the colour shift paints so I am intrigued to give them a go.

Well done on your Challenge mate, you've shared some amazing work with us. I'll never forget you mind-blowing 15mm Alamo which remains a highlight of this year for me.

8 comments:

  1. Cracking work, Forest! :)

    Being nerdy, I did calculate the terrain volume - it actually comes out as 0.75 cubes for 15 points! However, I don't think the terrain cube formula takes into account the fiddliness of painting details on tiny buildings like these (thinks back to the paltry points I got for some back in AHPC X).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if the buildings/terrain is close to the size of 28mm miniature for example, then the terrain formula is way off. When painting a 6" cube sized building or big rock, it works better. Also, some people think the cube like a square and skip one dimension of the formula and ask for too many points. :)

      Delete
  2. These are simply amazing! I will continue to say that the work at this scale astounds me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool set of buildings. The colour shift paints look good on them.

    ReplyDelete