Friday 18 March 2022

From MikeP (Ready) 6mm Printed Napoleonic Infantry (32 points)

Hello Challenge friends.

This is my last entry for this year, returning to my main line of effort, God's Own Scale and 6mm Napoleonics.   These are 3D printed figures that were gifted to me by the owner of my local gaming store, who wants our group to start playing a Naps campaign.   Being a fan of underdogs and Charlie Brown Christmas trees, I took the Spanish. 


I have no idea who designed these STL files.  They are rather crude, and print in strips, reminiscent of the Warlord Epic figures, with the only the front of the front rank and the back of the back rank given any detail.  They paint very quickly, so perfect for starting an army quickly and for massed battles.  I just noticed the heads on the left most figures in the above shot are missing, I think my cat nibbled on them, so I guess the massed battle has started!


Speaking of massed battles, the rules I currently favour, LaSalle 2ndEd by Sam Mustafa, calls for each regiment to have four stands, to represent Line, Column, Massed and Square formations.  Even in 6mm, with my standard base size, units will take up a lot of real estate, but with these printed figures, it's not that hard to build units.  I haven't tried these four base units in a game yet, so curious to see how it will play.

That's a long line!

Since the flag is printed as a slab of resin flying straight out in the breeze, it was easy to freehand the Spanish crossed ragged staffs.


A final note about the trees in the background, I wanted to up the scenics standard for my 6mm tables, so ordered some regularly shaped MDF bases from Litko, and gathered all the trees I could find to fill them out.  The pine trees are quite large, probably more suited for 10 or 15mm, and probably not found in Spain!

No points claimed for the trees as all I did was prepare some bases.  For the Spanish, there are 32 figures per base, but since I only painted 16 fronts and 16 backs per base, I'll call it 16 figures X 4 stands X .5 points per figure, so 32 points?

Well, my friends, that does it for me for this year.  It's been grand to be a part of this, and to see all your creativity and enthusiasm.  As always, I'm grateful to Curt and the faithful minions, and to you Tamsin, it was an honour to be part of Team Tuesday.  It was very gratifying to get comments and to know that some of you liked my Frankenstein entry, thank you for that.  I did my best to add a comment (and sometimes some attempted humour) to every entry, but there simply wasn't enough time and I am sorry for anyone's work that I missed, I'll try to catch up after this weekend.  Now I'm off to Stratford, ON for HotLead, which we like to think of as one of Canada's best minis events.  

Cheers and blessings,  MikeP


From DaveD . AAhh some fine 6mm - you really can't beat them for a mass effect . Enjoy your visit to a show!



 

9 comments:

  1. Great stuff Mike, a Spanish army is really colourful and fun to use - also being 6mm means that you have a perfect excuse to buy some TBM Spanish buildings as well now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tony troops look spiffing, Padre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great all lined up Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While you may not have been too impressed with these figures, your brush and basing really make them sing, Mike. I played the 1st edition of Lasalle and remember quite liking it. I hope all these troops you did during the Challenge give you joy on the tabletop. Thank you for being such a great booster for the other participants, your comments were always wonderful, humourous and well considered. Thanks Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blocks! The minis are not may be the finest quality, but your brushwork is excellent. Your comments have been warmly welcomed, thank you, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything painted in 6mm is always amazing to me! Thank you for all your positive comments throughout the Challenge. It was a pleasure being a fellow member of Team Tuesday with you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very nice. Its great what figures you can get printed nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Napoleonic Spanish, I quite fancy them myself but probably in 28mm, the massed effect of 6mm can't be beaten!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete