Friday 18 March 2022

From PeterB. Zulu war gatling gun and crew (30 points)

Oh go on then, just one more post.

I know I said I might be done, but after finally finishing my Zulu War project, I said I might get a gatling gun. Well, I did. I wasn't sure it was going to arrive before the end of the challenge, but luck was on my side.

Of course now I will have to paint more Zulu's to justify the presence of such a weapon. So I guess I know what will be on my to do pile for next years challenge.


I did originally start painting them in red uniforms, then remembered that that might not be accurate, so a quick bit of photo research (These chaps know their stuff.) and I think I have their colours correct. I have even copied the colour of the gun carriage from the Die Hards own.

Perry Miniatures as you probably know just make lovely models, so these were a joy to paint. The gun was a tad fiddly to put together, but didn't need much done to it to make it fit neatly together. I thought you might appreciate seeing the awesome little boxes these models come in.


I could even use the cotton wool for some smoke markers later.

So, points.
10 points for the gun
4 crew at 5 points each.
Total 30 points.

I'm done now, I promise. ;-)

From Millsy:

Just one more post indeed, especially when it is something this cool Peter. Few things are more evocative of colonial wars for me than early automatic weapons. A bit crazy, unreliable and almost as terrifying to the operator as the receiver these things must have been an absolute nightmare to lug about in the heat and rough terrain. The "This is not a toy" label is unintentionally ironic I feel.

Lovely brushwork mate, that blue/grey is spot on and the red trouser strips are a nice flash of colour. Congrats on a wonderful Challenge and thanks for sharing your creations with us.

14 comments:

  1. Oh that’s just awesome! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking looking gatling gun.
    Osprey Publishing do several books on the Anglo-Zulu War. Elite 32, British Forces in Zululand 1879 covers the uniforms and equipment of all the regulars and has several colour plates for reference. It's well worth a read if you can find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, my Father in Law has an extensive library for this period so will definitely have this (among many other Ospreys) He is the reason I know who the Die Hards are.

      Delete
  3. Great Gatling, Batman! I agree, the Perry boxes are so nice and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely results on these figures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. I'm looking forward to rolling lots of dice until the inevitable "jam" I'm sure to roll in a game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh those are nice! So well painted.
    I haven’t had the opportunity to paint metal figures yet. I have to say, receiving a box with that type of metal would be far more exciting to me than one with jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne asks me to keep the Perry boxes as they work well for storing small things and gift boxes

      Delete
  7. Very nice gun, Peter! And more zulus in the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Gattling gun indeed Peter!

    ReplyDelete