Friday 18 March 2022

From TeemuL: Italian Cavalry (30 points)

My last two posts have been some kind of humble tributes, but this one is only a small and straight forward squirrel hunt. When planning this Challenge and entries, I tried to fit in lots of different projects (squirrels). That's because I'm a hobby butterfly by nature and I didn't have any clear project a head of me. I also saw the Squirrel hunting as a great excuse to paint the last remaining models of several forces, paint additions to ever growing forces and probably start couple of new ones...

You might remember my Sludge army, which is more or less complete at the moment. However, there were some spare models left, which I intended to keep for future work, but then decided to something else. So this trio of warriors are from Perry Miniatures plastic box of Light Cavalry 1450-1500 intended for War of the Roses, which I used for my Sludge Jägers (with Zoauves' heads and arms), but this time using only the parts from the box. There were couple of "special" heads in the box, which were marked as "Italian". I thought a while and decided to create a small vignette of these Italian cavalrymen, trying to justify it as a valid squirrel entry.

They are painted in Contrast paints, base is an MDF from Warbases and has some sand glued on before painting it red and attaching some tufts. I painted all horses in different colours and even the riders themselves are a bit of motley crew, even though it is clearly a command unit of sorts. The headgears are bright white, red and green (the current colours of Italy), but rest of the colours I tried to keep quite dull. The same contrasting thought continues on the horses, they are quite "pale", but all the leather and clothing (in place of correct cavalry terms) are rather bright red and tale and mane are black.

Late 15th century Italian history is not my strongest area, but I understand that even after the war-filled era ended in 1450s, the end of the century was not conflict free. I believe there were several smaller or larger battles, wars and such-like, so I'm pretty confident my entry is historically correct - in some place and time. :) I guess I can use this as a starting point of a new army, if I really want... All ideas are welcome.

3 cavalry models, 10 points each should give me 30 points in total and a new squirrel.

My personal Squirrel count: 18

20mm Napoleonic
28mm Sludge
28mm Pulp
28mm Warhammer 40000 Xenos
28mm General (including Gloranthan) Fantasy
1:300 Cruel Seas
6mm Epic Imperial Fists
28mm ADD Boardgame
28mm Runewars Waiqar
28mm Blood Bowl
28mm Simians
15mm Mid War Germans
28mm Age of Sigmar Sylvaneths
28mm Warhammer 40000 Imperium
28mm Warhammer Fantasy Orcs & Goblins
28mm Lord of the Rings Mordor
10mm Warmaster Undead
28mm Late 15th Century Italians

From DaveD - Nice little cavalry addition there Teemu . 30 it is . 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave! We'll see if this expands to army one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Teemu, these are really good and am interested by the idea of Italian like set of cavalry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice cavalry, Teemu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on those cavalry Teemu. That Perry light cav box is full of extras and delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! There were lots of options indeed. I might need to get deeper understanding of that era of history.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on these Renaissance Italian cavalrymen, Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curt! I guess next I need to gather some precise information on the colours and battles and see what comes up.

      Delete
  6. Strangest looking squirrel ever ;) Very nice calvarymen Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! Not the squirrel we are used to see, I agree.

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking cavalry command, useful for condittore warfare or sneaking into the great Italian wars of the early 16th century!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain! I planned to use them only as a shelf filler, but I guess the entry will grow... :)

      Delete