Friday 18 March 2022

From Mike W - 32mm Zombies (100 Points)

I said never again...

Then a guy on eBay made me an offer I couldn't refuse, 20 figures for less than £1 each, a 3D printing company had seen me looking at figures online and although my bid did not succeed they came back to me with the offer!

The undercoated figures, they came without bases and had to be superglued to MDF disks

So I thought it'd be rude not to use this as my last post for this challenge. Remember the dead never sleep!

A whole new addition to the Herd

I'm relatively new to 3D printed figures, they looked nice online but I was even more pleased once I'd seen them after the landed on my doorstep - about three weeks ago. If I have one criticism, it would be that the resin used in this case seems a little brittle, almost immediately my clumsy fingers broke off an arm from one of the figures. No worries though a drop of superglue and I transplanted one loose limb to an appropriate stump on another figure and I'd created two new distinct figures.

Close-up of four figures, the one on the left has a distinct Medieval feel to it,
the rest are very contemporary

Another nice feature of this batch was that they were picked at random from a selection of 10 poses. These poses were produced in two versions - that is mirror images of each other - so in fact there are 20 different figures in the random pool that he group was selected from!

Left is a Blacksmith, in this group of four more Zombies,
second right had the 'broken' left arm added to her stump to give her two functioning arms! 

The figures were undercoated in white and then a variety of skin tones applied as discussed in previous posts, I use appropriate colours to 'dress' the figures before using different coloured washes to shade the skin and clothes. Blood was applied as I saw fit, Less is more in my opinion.

Another four completed figures in close-up

If anyone looks closely at the bases they will see I have continued with my concrete pavement theme but added some debris to the bases, again using the less is more maxim. I've now created a new job for myself to retro-fit this debris effect to my other figures in the collection!

Figure second right carries a pointy stick,
left hand figure is the one I snapped the arm off when opening the packaging...


As does the left hand figure here is the mirror images of the guy with the stick above


So this is my last post of this year's challenge and what a blast it has been - I didn't imagine that I'd be able to get so much stuff painted in the time period! This year I had prepared early and built figures and undercoated many - but even so I found myself running out of things to paint! My best tip - is to have multiple projects on the go at the same time!

Many thanks to Curt for again masterminding the event, thanks too goes to Peter D as my long suffering Monday Minion who had to endure my churn of posts and thanks to all the other participants and those who left encouraging comments on the posts! Roll on AHPC XII 😀

POINTS

20 x 32mm Foot Figures = 100 Points


From DaveD .

A fine zombie host it is indeed! a great end to your challenge! 



9 comments:

  1. Now, ow did I know that there's be more zeds from you before the Challenge ends? Terrific additions to the horde, Mike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mike you've got more zombies than there were Zulus at Rorke's Drift
    "Look sir - Zombies, 'farsands of 'em"

    ReplyDelete
  3. MORE FLIPPING ZOMBIES! You’ve had a great run Mike and it was a pleasure to minion your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fitting final entry, Mike! No more zombies... See you at the next Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly productive, wow. Fantastic work Mike. You lit the roster on fire this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So.many.zombies.
    It’s been wonderful to follow along with your posts. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another splendid bunch of zombies!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete