Friday 18 March 2022

From MikeP (Ready): 28mm 18th/19th century German Farm (125 pts)

With the clock running out on this year's Challenge, here is a significant terrain project I've been working on for 18th century Seven Year War gaming in the big scale.   These are both 28mm MDF kits from Warbases, from their Napoleonic Prussia series of buildings.

One is a farm cottage, the other obviously is a barn.   Both were labours of love.  To give the cottage a stucco style look and as bare MDF walls look rather sad, I coated the exterior walls thickly with LePage plastic wood filler, painted the walls an off-white cream colour, and then stained them with Agrax Earthshade.  The slate roof is made of cut-up cereal box, glued in place and painted blue.


Likewise for the barn, a three-story model, I used the cut up cereal box method to suggest that the ground floor was made of field stones cemented in place.  Not sure if that's common in 18th century Prussia, but you still see it in old barns in SW Ontario where I live.


For the barn roof, I saw the error of my ways with the cereal boxes and ordered some roof tile sets from Sarissa.   Two sheets wasn't enough and I had to cut a few strips to finish the job.  The barn is a massive thing, as you can see from these 28mm figures.


The bases were made as well, following a recipe from my friend Joe Saunders, who runs a clever YouTube channel called Miniature Landscape Hobbies.  I had hoped to make some scatter to add to the bases, to make it all appear lived in, but that will wait for another day, along with the three more Warbases buildings still in the flatpacks.  

The barn is a bit of a beast, 7" wide, 10" long, and 8" high.  The farmhouse is 6" wide, 3.5" wide, and 5" tall.  I can supply photos later to verify this, but as I'm pressed for time, I'd be grateful if a kind minion can take my word for this.   Not counting the bases, I would say the buildings would need five 6" cubic boxes to hold them, so I'm asking for 120 points, but honestly, since I pretty much made my goal this year, I'll take whatever you award, and if you want to reward my stupidity for all those cut up cereal boxes, I'll take bonus points for stupid.

I don't think there's a Challenge planet dedicated to German agricultural so no planet bonus claimed.

Cheers and thanks for looking, MikeP

From DaveD. Thats a fine bit of work you've completed = i always like seeing these mdf buildings brought properly to life - lets  call that 125 

9 comments:

  1. Nice idea Mike, its always good to see somebody put as much effort into terrain as figure painting because it really sets off a game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work hiding the mdf, Mike! Very nice buildings, they could be used later time battles as well, say WW2 on countryside or any fantasy setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great buildings Padre, love that massive barn. I may have to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking buildings, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific buildings, Mike! Thank you for the suggestion of your friend’s YouTube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luvvly looking buildings Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking buildings, always good to have nice terrain as well as nice figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete