Thursday 17 March 2022

From StuartL: A Viking Invasion (Lady Sarah's Star Yacht) (Klendathu) (115 Points)

Hello again,

The end of the challenge is fast approaching and I still have a load of primed minis next to my workbench. I'm sure that some of them will keep for a later date, but right now I am trying to get as many done as possible. My aim is to get models done that I prepped for some of the Challenge Quadrant planets, but didn't use in the end.

So, with that said, my post today could go to several planets, Perelandra for the sea-going nature of the models, Glorantha for their use of runes, even Gethen for their cold homeland, but it is instead Klendathu I will be revisiting. But first of all, I need a ride. Last time around I was able to use Lady Sarah's Star Yacht with a mythical Japanese creature and today I intend to do the same, but with a less creepy option than the spider-woman.


The model comes from Reaper Bones' Daimyo expansion and I believe that it is meant to be a form of Tengu or bird demon. It doesn't really look like anything I've seen relating to Tengu, but they are supposed to be able to change their shape so...


And with my passage paid, it is on to Klendathu for an Invasion Gone Bad.
1066 was quite a busy year for the Anglo-Saxons. While it is much more famous for the (successful) invasion of England by the Normans, that wasn't the only invasion to take place that year. Harald Hardrada led an invasion of the North East of England with a large army of Vikings. While they had some initial success at the Battle of Fulford, they were badly mauled and sent packing by Harold Godwinson's Anglo-Saxon force at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. So, not only did the invasion fail, it was completely overshadowed by William's later invasion in the south.


This first set of eight models are from Gripping Beast's plastic Viking set. I tend to paint my Vikings in bright clothes to contrast with the simple and plain colours I use for my Anglo-Saxons. This helps to quickly differentiate the two forces of chainmail clad, spear wielding warriors on the table.


These eight figures are a kit bash of heads, shields and weapons from the aforementioned Gripping Beast set and some Celts from Warlord Games. The parts fit together perfectly (some hands did need chopping off and replacing though), and give you a lot of fun options like more lightly armoured troops that you can use to represent those poorer members of Viking society who have tagged along in the hopes of loot and plunder.


This command base is from Footsore I believe. Sadly I wasn't able to get a banner in time, so the flagpole is bare. The commander is holding a severed head, no doubt some Saxon noble he just killed. 

The dark ages are fairly well covered by a variety of makers in both metal and plastic, making it a great period to wargame. It was an era when men were men, and therefore you don't have to faff about remembering a bunch of different stat-lines. These figures are all based individually so that I can use them for Saga, but I also have some movement trays for them if I want to try a bigger game like Hail Caesar.

So, for 19x 28mm models that should be 95 points, plus a bonus of 20 points for a trip on the Star Yacht for a grand total of 115 points. No skulls here sadly. Hopefully I still have a post or two in me before the end of the challenge.

Nice work on these. The Tengu is a bit angelic but her foot is creepy. I, too, like to be able to easily differentiate between my Dark Age combatants. I particularly like the commander doing his best Hamlet audition.

Barks

8 comments:

  1. Nice Yokai Stuart -- she could be a Tennyo or Tennin -- but her bloodthirsty expression and claw like foot are straight up Tengu

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the mysteries of life, what does a shapeshifter look like?
    Your shapeshifter looks very nice, a bit angelic. The bright colours work well against the brown leather and chainmail, and most likely against the Anglo-Saxons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking demon and great looking dark age types!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice figures Stuart. No arguments on Stamford Bridge.

    ReplyDelete