Tuesday 17 January 2023

From PeteF: Hearthguard Skeletons (60 points)

 


A while back I picked up a box of Wargames Atlantic skellies from my FLGS.  I liked the look of the ancient Greek-ish undead and thought they might fit into a project someday.  They are going to be a SAGA Age of Magic warband and these 8 skellies are the foot Hearthguard.  This is my entry for the Swords and Sandals studio - strictly speaking there are no sandals here because they've rotted away. 


It's a bare bones project, so for flare I unwisely decided to go to town on the shield designs.  It turned out to be quite hard to get black to show up on weathered bronze.


I have a bone to pick with the designers of the fourth skellie on each sprue - although great for posability it can be a bit tricky to get all the bits lined up.  Fotunately a big shield can hide a lot of pelvic misalignment.


The shield designs were inspired by various shield transfers I found online - I make no bones about copying from the best.  I particularly liked the octopus.  


The layers and highlighting don't really show up in this rear view - they're there.  Honest!  I worked my fingers to the bone on this small project.  I highly recommend all flavours of SAGA to anyone who wants an excuse to paint a whole bunch of 50-ish figure armies.  They keep churning out new "Ages" and with Age of Magic you have free rein. 


Compared to many of my fellow challengers I feel bone idle with this relatively minor entry. 

8 x 28mm foot and The Swords & Sandals studio for 60 points.

Squirrel +1 for a total of 2 Squirrels
Skullz + 8 for a total of 9 Skullz* [if helmeted skulls allowed]

For Tamsin: My route through the back lot 

Those skeletons do look great, Pete! Very Harryhausen! 

Just a note on your route map - you might want to download the updated version (with Westerns moved to the Blue zone, the Gift Shop and a couple of streets added). I'm guessing that you are intending to visit every studio - I hope you have a couple of female minis lined up for the limo rides to and from the Superheroes studio.

Tamsin

28 comments:

  1. Those are bloody marvellous Pete, love the shields. I’ve been waffling on this set and may have to pick one up now I’ve seen yours. Perhaps you can send Demetrius off to the chiropractor for alignment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Wargames Atlantic skellies highly recommended - especially if you like the Greekish/Harryhausen look.

      Delete
  2. Great work on those shields Pete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - I hid the ones that were only partially successful at the back.

      Delete
  3. Love these Harryhausen set dressers, Pete. The shields are fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them - tricky little suckers

      Delete
  4. Brilliant shields, the Hydra will want its teeth back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - I might have some more teeth in reserve

      Delete
  5. Fabulous now I want some too!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - Wargames Atlantic are highly recommended - I love their stuff

      Delete
  6. Great skeleton, the shields look marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work on the shields, just brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry - I love trying to paint small stuff

      Delete
  8. Lovely shields and great looking skeletons!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely brushwork on "dem bones"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those shield designs. Well done, Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha. Well played/written sir. Excellent and entertaining post. The shields and walking bones are extraordinary. All I can think of is Jason and the Argonauts (original version) scene with the Skellies going over the cliff. I swear the shook a bag of dice for the sound effects.

    ReplyDelete