Tuesday 17 January 2023

From SimonG: Imperial Might - 20 28mm Roman Legionaries (100 points)

Phew, now I know why I don't do Napoleonics! Batch painting large numbers of uniform soldiers is quite a chore. However for my Jewish Wars project I do have to field some Roman Legionaries so my first off studio submission is a batch of 20 Victrix early Imperial legionaries -- from the Legionaries Attacking set.




These are very fine sculpts -- easy to put together and with clean detail to paint. Almost too much detail (all of those buckles and ties!) but I think they were ultimately worth the effort.  Those deep set eyes within the Galea had me digging out my rarely used ten zero brush!  Suffice it to say I've only given close ups on the best results, for mass troops I'm not going back over and correcting stuff that only shows on close up 🤪 !  I also enjoyed adding a modicum of dust to suit fighting in the middle east.






The shields are LBMS -- actually I've only attached shields to 10 of the 20 as I've got some 1st Corps Cornered Scutum on order as I'm not sure that the classic curved profile rectangular shaped shield was actually used in the Jewish wars.  I'll have to hand paint these shields and I'll repost as soon as I have this done.  Still without shields you can see some more of the detail on the figures.






Finally I do hate having to do sandals, quite time consuming but at least you get the chance to add toe nails!  Just don't count how many there are on every foot 😏





This focus stacked shot is actually quite amusing as it creates the impression of motion among the group!




And here is a shot of the lots together so you can see some more details on the basing (another PITA when you are doing large numbers of single figures) -- it's a Geek gaming mix with added tufts and rocks.






Points wise this is a simple 20 28mm figures for 100 and continues my total marching along.  Next week it's back on the Studio lot with a sample of global ghoulies for World Cinema!



Those Roman legionaries look fab, Simon! 100 points whizzing your way!

Tamsin 



39 comments:

  1. Your legionaries are looking great Simon. There is some great movement and detail on those sculpts. I did get a bit of a chuckle over them not having the right shields, sounds like something that I'd fuss over. I wouldn't be fussing over feet however, I go for the impression of leather sandals over grubby bare feet - a heavy wash in some dark brown. And they'd have to go to some other soon top get their pedicure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- I just got the 1st Corps shields, still not exactly right but they'll do and make a good contrast. You're right that the wash does bring out the sandal details nicely -- but I do like dotting on finger and toe nails, to me it helps make the figure come alive! Although not sure you can ever see it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, its time consuming but seems to come out OK

      Delete
  3. Those do look good, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas, Curt's recommendation on a black velvet backdrop for photos really helps the figures pop

      Delete
  4. Very nice Romans - you've done these excellent sculpts proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete -- next time it's a section of archers, plus some more of my Numidian Jewish converts!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Simon, I always enjoy seeing this project move forward. I'm with you on the sandals - they can be a pain, but the extra effort really looks ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually once tried to make sandals our of fine brass wire for my shoeless zealots -- nevertheless that's something I'll not be trying again!

      Delete
  6. Very nicely painted... although I found the toe nails needing some additional weathering XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legionaries enjoy a good relationship with their valetudinis curandae!

      Delete
  7. Great looking legionaries, Simon. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick -- I'm looking forward to sharing the shots of the shield designs I'm working on now -- hopefully will be in next weeks submissions

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work Simon. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are brilliant, but toe nails - really

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly easy to do. And so worth it! You’d miss your toe nails if you didn’t have them 🦶🤪

      Delete
  10. Great stuff Simon, great to see some lovely painted Romans.

    Some on my desk also at the moment!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't have too many Romans can we -- there's all those hordes to see off!

      Delete
  11. A wealth of Romans today. Fantastic looking figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony -- appreciate the kind words

      Delete
  12. Marvellous figures, Simon, your painting is so very vivid and lifelike. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helped by some nice faces (although they do all look related 😁)

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous legionaries! These are what I think of as the classical Roman soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic legionaries and superb photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry -- photography is just another of those things that the Challenge helps me work on

      Delete
  15. Great looking Legionarys, nice to see further progress in this project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- now I just need to get to grips with my huge temple mount construction!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Many thanks. Annoying at the time but good end results

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, these Bictrox figures really come up well and are easy to paint

      Delete
    2. Hmmm. New manufacturer there 🤪 Victrix of course!

      Delete
  18. Excellent work Simon. All the detail you put in really shows off your skills. Wonderful figures.

    ReplyDelete