Tuesday 17 January 2023

From BenitoV: Late Roman Levy Unit (60 points)

In the nick of time, I could finish on Monday evening my next unit for Saga: a bunch of conscripted levies for a Late Roman Warband (in progress).

 


I wanted to paint a unit  dressed with some uniformity but not too much. Facing different options, I finally discarded  the Gripping Beast's "official" Late Roman Infantry box and instead I used bodies and javelin arms from the Dark Age Warriors box, and spare heads with helmets from other boxes (Goth Cavalry, Saxon Thengs, etc)

 


Some of the unit members wear a the Late Roman army tunic (greyish white with red ornaments) but others had to use their own clothes (either because of running out of Roman tunic stocks or being only lately "recruited").

 


The shields are Little Big Men transfers. I opted to give the unit a common theme as a way to increase the appearance of semi-regular troops.        

This unit is another example of the flexibility and optionality offered by the Gripping Beast Dark Age plastic boxes.


This unit has 12 minis in 28mm, representing 60 points to be added to my Challenge score.  

I also score 1 point for the Squirrel Duel



Excellent work as always, Benito! Good idea to mix and match bits from different box sets to get a non-uniform look.

Tamsin

33 comments:

  1. Fantastic work, Benito! I really like the varied look of the unit. Great bit of kit-swopping, that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh my those are lovely Benito. Really like the idea of using the Dark Age infantry for the levies as the GB are too regular looking. You might try the Victrix fellas too. You're giving me idea here...never a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local shop in Madrid has no yet been supplied the new Victrix and ordering to UK is a nightmare after Brexit. I'm holding my reins, not buying the GB box and awaiting the arrival of the Victrix to paint the regular infantry. In the meantime I have some cavalry on my desk, so I won't be idle

      Delete
  3. Great looking levy, Benito. I really like the shield designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the shileds are a merit of the Little Big Men Studios designers, not mine ;-)

      Delete
  4. Really good looking fellows Benito (by which I mean grimy, tough looking and angry!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice SAGA Levies - one of my good friends loves to play Romans (in all the SAGA ages). Their battle boards are tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still discovering the best tactics with these guys. I've lost two out of two games so far

      Delete
  6. Nice conversion, well done Benito

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These Gripping Beast plastics are wonderful for that. Thanks

      Delete
  7. Great painting and especially love the shields
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but as I said above, that's the merit of Little Bige Men Studio, not mine

      Delete
  8. Great work, Benito, and very clever way of composing the unit. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever conversions Benito and so well painted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for converting your levies and of course they look excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. Saga and the GB plastics are like collecting Pokemoms: you want them all!! It's addictive

      Delete
  11. Excellent work Benito. The differing tunics and red additions really pop. Love them.

    ReplyDelete