Tuesday 7 February 2023

From DaveD: Necromunda - meet the “Derr-Flingers” : Van Saar (90 points)

Ok so here is this years challenge butterfly moment from me. It is a little diversion back to Necromunda, it’s certainly not my usual historical fodder, though I do have fond memories of some great games of it in the 90s . I did a few figures 3 years ago but the mojo for them went awol and I ended up ditching the unfinished terrain bits to various people as a “win” in the ever increasing storage wars campaign.

However JamesM of this parish has recently completed a load of really nice terrain and some initial gangs to get us up and running in a campaign. MartinC has completed his gang of Enfiorcers (sniggers - there may have been a lot of leather involved) who need to go back to spend time on the range as his consistent rolling of “1’s” when he needed 2+ in the last game has now become the stuff of legend - “sniggers -a lot“ - no really I was even sorry for him for a few seconds ….😂😂😂

Anyway here is a revisit to my original 90s Van Saar lads - the “Derr-Flingers” . I have stuck with a full green outfit with yellow highlights. The hair where there is some is black with a white highlight in homage to my old gang leader Mallon - they are maybe his kids now.


I picked up some of the new Vallejo Xpress paints , and used the Lizard green on these lads - it’s another nice tool for the armoury - it worked well . With a bit of “Slap Chop” technique - started by spraying them a very dark base green from a Tamiya rattle can, then a heavy dry brush with a yellow ochre, followed by white/ochre mix top highlight dry brush. Apply  some Vallejo Lizard Green Xpress paint. Once dry,  basic extra highlights added after with fleshes and weapons. The bases are done to match the decayed rust part of the hive that JamesM has created.

 I need to add some numbers to bases but need to get some suitable water slide transfers next time I pop to down to Pendraken - always handy to have a major Wargames supplier on your doorstep.


10 of these are new.


Unfortunately no nice terrain backdrop for these at the moment as James has it all. The Xpress paints have meant these have rattled along nicely. 

Next up the Neoteks on GravCutter vehicles or are they just mounted who knows…can a GravCutter on its own be a vehicle or maybe a drone 😂😂 (sorry Tamsin I will leave it with ya)  - who knows !




I have added lead weights to the bases to make them more stable . I also have added magnets 2mm x 5mm  to the top of the flight stand with some shaped milliput , and similar magnets to the GravCutter- for sure they are not coming off! They should let me torment Martins sniper nicely .

They are all named after characters from Babylon Berlin - if you’ve not seen it you should. It has interrupted the last two weeks of painting - it’s Noir , Pulp , Music, Dancing ,Hedonism , Nazis , Communists , trainloads of poison gas, stolen Russian gold , rockets , intrigue and back stabbing , it’s wonderfully made - great TV.



Anyway that’s 90 points and me now over 2/3rd of the way to total .

These lads will have their newly painted baptism of embarrassment very shortly .. I am sure Martin will get his own back .. 

Anyway that’s enough of this silly butterfly nonsense . Might be back to more green stuff for 7DTTR or Nam - ffs I seem to have a lot of green things to do at the moment !




Firstly, it's not "slap-chop", it's "grisaille" (let's not try to pretend it's something new-fangled - I came across the technique when I got back into the hobby 12 years ago). Secondly, it's good to see you branching out from your usual historical milieu even if you did stick with green as the dominant colour! As for scoring of the NeoTeks, they count as mounted - the cutters look about the same size as a horse and probably somewhat easier to paint.

Tamsin

29 comments:

  1. great work mate, told you they were mounted. if you want more points paint more figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowt ventured nowt gained - now get back to building hills

      Delete
  2. Unusual for you Dave? Well at least they're green I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they bloody are ! 😂😂😂

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed - very odd painting sci-Fi I must say

      Delete
  4. Some very nice new citizens of Necromunda...I'm sure they will work hard at, er, "building small businesses"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. Good thing Martin can’t hit any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day - he might get lucky occasionally!

      Delete
  6. Great work, Dave, but Derr-flingers? Really? 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Dave, do the vallejo speed paints work well as washes? They don't look shiny - I'm desperate to make a paint chat so I can pick your brains, great entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don’t do the wash thing -too thick - but they have dried nicely matt

      Delete
  8. Nice work and great use of the speed paints.. by whatever name you give the technique! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvellous stuff and something I would never have imagined you being interested in mate!

    Well done pointing out the "history" of slap chop Tamsin. People make out like it's the invention of the wheel and it has killed watching videos on paint techniques for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah you see - hidden depths as they say. But that’s enough of that ! Back to normality for a while

      Delete
    2. I call it "le slapchop".

      Delete
  10. I like the retro meltagunner in there with the new lads!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have few metals in the stash -m will do them as I find em! Cheers

      Delete
  11. Nice work. Did you tint the shields or do they come that way?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fabulous, Dave. Necromunda for you? I had no idea! And I agree, Babylon Berlin is an AWESOME series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah indeed - it’s a very limited project mind!

      Delete
  13. Splendid bunch of gangers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Necromunda is always cool and these are very well done Dave!

    ReplyDelete