Tuesday 7 February 2023

From MattW: A Quick Whip Around - lady Sarah, Wild West, World Cinema, Casting couch (171 points)

 A Quick Whip around 

High Adventure-Western-World Cinema-Casting Couch

Lady Sarah Limousine 

First up today a ride if I may in Lady Sarah’s limo from High Adventure to Westerns 



An addition to my Revolutionary wars Napoleonic collection as table mini dioramas, a lady collecting apples from the field ready to be turned into calvados! The miniatures are from Foundry and female mule from Mirliton miniatures.

Points 

Lady Sarah Limo ride               20 points
28mm miniatures    28mm x 2 10 points 

Wild West Studio 

For me the Wild West is Native American Indians. I offer up these fine figures from Warlord Miniatures, formally sculpted by Conquest Miniatures in the USA.  The miniatures have lots of details, feather, porcupine spikes in the hair, also added a bit of warpaint. I find Indian flesh difficult to replicate, and played around a lot to settle on this colour, but quite happy with the result.






Wild West Studio 20 points 
3 x Native Indians  15 points
Total 35 points

Lady Sarah Limousine ride

Another ride in Lady Sarah Limousine from Wild West Studio to World Cinema, as payment a the scourge of Germans in Stalingrad Russian female snipers. The miniature is a lovely sculpt from AB miniatures in 20mm.





Lady Sarah limousine ride 20 points 
AB female Russian sniper 2 points (half figure) 
Total 22 points

World Cinema Studio

For me I have always loved the last of the Mohicans story, and have a fascination with the Indian tribes in the 18th and 19th century. The movie is still in my top five and I watch it regularly, I cannot believe that I have not painted the figures up until now. So with that I offer the former Conquest Miniatures now Warlord Miniatures figures from the movie. Played around a lot with the flesh and am still not that satisfied with the final colour.






Hawkeye Poe, Chingachgook and Uncas

World Cinema 20 points
Last of the Mohicans 28mm x 3 15 points
total 35 points

Lady Sarah Limousine 

A short trip in style again, a trip from World Cinema to Casting Couch I offer a Minaron female, sold as a librarian in their SCW collection. I have painted her as an Maidenhauptführerin  RAD Flak officer for the fall of Berlin. 



Lady Sarah Limousine ride              20 Points
20mm miniature.                                4 points



Casting Couch 

A real big fan of Wes Studi, his portrays of various Indians predominately, his most famous films being Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Geronimo. The miniature is from the Warlord Range, although sculpted originally by Conquest Miniatures in the USA. 




Points Casting Couch studio 20 points
28mm miniature                     5 points 

Total Points 

Lady Sarah Limousine rides 60 points
Lady Sarah miniatures          16 points
Wildwest studio                     35 points
World Cinema                        35 Points
Casting Couch                        25 Points

Total Points                          171 points


Phew! What a great set of figures, Matt! Good enough to gloss over the studio-stacking - 70% of your points here come from the bonuses!

Tamsin

36 comments:

  1. Great batch of figures Matt. Love the brick dust base on the Berlin figure but my favourite is the poor wee donkey 🐴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donkey is a copy of a school friends donkey as close as I can remember 40 odd years ago

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  2. You are taking a whirlwind tour! Love ‘em all but especially the mule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was scratching my head earlier in the week, while looking for some figures I found my conquest miniatures stash and thought the Last of the Mohicans characters would be nice to do.

      Cheers
      MattW

      Delete
  3. Nice work, Matt! I love the ancestors you painted! ;)
    I have yet to get the LotM set. I love the detail you plucked out. For the skin tones try a dark red brown base and work up to a tan flesh color of reddish variety. Any sepia tone works well for a wash. Just remember the red as "they" call us redskins for a reason! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I am fascinated by the tribes, the old conquest miniatures site had all of the variations in the headdress which I would of liked to have pointed out as the figs are from different tribes but unfortunately I could not find the site the describe them.
      The flesh started with a red leather colour then flesh mixed with olive drab. I am sort of happy but not 100%

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
    2. Conquest is my favorite line as the clothing was accurate, plus the Sauk minis had pinched faces which was a distinctive feature of the "fox ' tribe

      Delete
    3. Yes a big fan of them, I have about thirty to complete mine

      Delete
  4. Well done Matt,studios at breakneck speed I think, I love the mule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, the limo rides make it simple!

      Delete
  5. Great job on these. And agreed that skin tones are difficult to pull off nicely.. but you seemed to nail it nicely there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am still not 100% happy but it will do the job for the table top

      Delete
  6. Mmmm, Calvados! Your Indians look great too, I like all the little details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes have a bit of Calvados in the lounge for evening digestive

      Delete
  7. Lovely work! The woman leading the donkey is really cool. Stuff like this makes a world of difference on a table I feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a bit fan of table extras on the wargames table

      Delete
  8. The donkey and calvados collector are tops. The natives also look wonderful as well as all the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking figures, the native Americans are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Beautifully painted.
    The lady with the mule looks like a still from the movies, and so appropriate for this years theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great painting - for some reason I especially like the mule! I think I have one to paint soon so this is brilliant inspiration.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, the inspiration comes from a local animal!

      Delete
  12. I love the burro- it came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful brushwork on those indigenous folks, Matt. I'll echo others here in quite liking that faithful mule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt, I cannot believe they have been in the painting draw for 10 years

      Delete
  14. Lovely donkey and great looking native Americans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete