Thursday 18 January 2024

From DaveS: More Adventures In the Congo, and something Newly Acquired [New Acquisitions] (95 points)

So, I've painted some more of the miniatures that I got for playing Congo, although I have never actually played the game (or even read the rules for that matter), relying on the prebuilt "Expedition Packs" from North Star to decide what I should include. These are made up of the rest of the units that were unpainted from the last post, plus a few additions to units that I realised I hadn't fished out of the "Drawer being used as a shelf support".

First, we have the final 2 archers for the unit.  These were painted in an identical fashion to the others, using predominantly contrast paint.  Since severl people asked, I used GW Contrast Wildwood for the skin for all of the Natives in this post.

Next, we have another Askari that I found, to bring the total unit size to 5.

A unit of scouts.  These didn't come with spears, and led to some consternation, as I know that when I first bought these, a friend kindly donated some brass wire spears for me to complete them.  Several years later, I have no idea where these are (believe me, I looked), and so having checked the online stock, I tried my FLGS.  Who showed me to a 10'x4' display of blisters, and let me know they were in there somewhere!!!!!! (I should stress that had I ordered them from the website, they would have dug them out for me).  As the wife was in the car at the time, I declined to go through 100s of blisters, and so these have spears donated from some sprues of Ancient Celts.....

Next, we move on to what are referred to on the box as "Explorers".  These were again, painted mostly with contrast paints.  I'm probably most happy with these of all the models that I painted from this set.

Finally for now, the two characters.  Lady Isobel Poppington herself, and the Professor.


I'm not hugely happy with how Her Ladyship's glasses turned out, but I will live with it I think.  I still have some "Soldiers (Acutally Sailors)" to paint to have the complete expedition finished, but I haven't quite got them polished off yet, so they will have to wait.


As a break, and because I finally got hold of them, I have also painted some of the new GW Legion Imperialis Space Marines. Space Marine was the very first wargame I ever got bought, for christmas when I was still at school. I never played that edition, and a few years ago sold on my attempt to start collecting a force for the NetEpic version that was around online.

But since I had bought a small (honest) number of titans to use with it when this was first announced, I decided that this would break my embargo on buying new models for the challenge.  And thus I present my first 4 bases of Tactical Marines. Since 6mm is .5 points, and 10mm is 1 point per model, I propose .75 points for the 8mm that these are claimed at.  I'm also going to claim New Acquisitions for these, if I may.


So that should make

13x28mm Models at 5pts = 65 Points

20x8mm Models at .75pts = 15 Points

New Acquisition Desk = 20 Points


For a round total of 100pts

TeemuL: More warriors for Congo. The Contrast paints seem to work very well on these minis, they all look great! The Space Marines look good, too. But in the future posts, could you include more photos from different angles and the Challenge Map, please? Especially the Explorers, they do look good and I'd like to see more of them.

I understand your scoring proposal and that was discussed before the Challenge started with Minions, but in the end it was ruled that 6mm category will be known as 6-8mm category from now on, so they are only worth half a point, so total of 10 for Space Marines and 95 in total.

14 comments:

  1. The Congo figures are ace Dave. The wee space Marines nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like those Congo figures. I had a good laugh about the missing spears. I mangled to lose two packs of Victrix figures that I bought in the summer and saved for the Challange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Copplestone 'Adventuress' models - you've done them proud Dave! Those Indigenous folks are terrific as well. Such a colourful project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all great, and I agree that the Explorers came out very well, but the two characters are my favourites. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man the copplestone figures just look perfect love the colors you have chosen and the style of painting is top notch great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Congo colours and Lady Poppington!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely set of figures, BTW you should never read rules anyway, just make them up as you go along and look confident

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby Space Wombles and some cracking Adventure figs, great job 👏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking very cool Dave, and the Lady's glasses are a good effort on a tricky material to paint. I'm glad you've got the Legions bits, and what do you mean "only a few Titans" hahaha! I can't wait to get some games in with you again, especially as your marines look a lot better than mine!

    ReplyDelete