Thursday 18 January 2024

From NickY: 28mm 4th Edition Warhammer Fantasy High Elf Prince Tyrion [Overdues and Returns] (30 points)

Hello to everyone, my fellow miniature enthusiasts and brush wielders!

Why did I choose a character model for my first entry? Well, in for penny, in for a pound I guess!

Daemon slayer sword. Check. Majestic steed. Check. Massively oversized helmet. Check.   

This miniature holds quite a special place in my heart. It was, after all, what drew me into miniature gaming way back in the early 90s. My neighbor introduced me to this game with figures and dice that allowed me to extend my love of fantasy from books to tabletop. I was hooked, and with Prince Tyrion, well, it was love at first sight. I mean look at the fellow! I'd follow that man [elf] into battle. Fans of the game and the miniatures will probably notice that he is not riding the horse miniature from the original blister pack. But, I like to think that it is his horse 'Malhandir', but the steed has decided no longer to where that irritating sheet that everyone kept throwing over him before very battle! Nevertheless, the horse I did find for Tyrion is from the same edition and from the the same High Elf range. 

For those of you who may not be familiar with the character, here is a short copy and paste from the web.

Tyrion, also known as the "Heir of Aenarion," the "Dragon of Cothique," the "Champion of the Everqueen," and the "Defender of Ulthuan," is a High Elf Prince and the greatest living High Elven warrior of this age, as well as the twin brother of the High Elf Archmage Teclis. So valiant and skilled is he that the bards of Ulthuan sing that he is nothing less than the first Phoenix King Aenarion reborn -- a tale that is given credence far beyond Ulthuan's shores.

The paint scheme I chose for him was one that would help him fit in with my current High Elf army, but still give him an ere of nobility and majesty. My army is inspired by the region known as Chrace, which is a mountainous realm of dark forests inhabited by giant white lions that prowl beneath the boughs. Those who make this land their home are skilled hunters and trackers. They may be perceived as unsophisticated and unrefined by other High Elves, but I think Tyrion would fit right in there, joining in the hunts and enjoying the honesty and unpretentiousness of its people.

What was the most difficult part about painting him?

It ended up being his famous sword.- Sunfang. It has been a good year I think, since I have picked up a brush and my wet blending skills are very rusty. I had to cover up the error and change the style. I painted the sword last, so there was no way I was going to strip the paint and start over. ;) Overall, I'm still happy with how it turned out, but the there is an extra layer of paint on the sword that shouldn't be there and covered up some of the parts of the runes on the sword.

My thank you to you all for your hard efforts. I am checking your awesome work and being inspired by it all. My thanks to Curt, and the minders for making the challenge possible.

Onwards and upwards and I hope to get a lot more painting done in the coming months.

Citadel Miniatures [Dec 1992] Warhammer Fantasy High Elves Prince Tyrion

1 x 28mm mounted @ 10 points = 10 points

The Challenge Library [Section 1: Overdues] bonus = 20 points

Total = 30 points

TeemuL: This is a marvellous mini and you have painted it well! What an excellent first entry to this Challenge! Welcome to the Challenge and Thor's Day team. Your paiting skills are way better than mine, so I just say that, you might have had some issues, but I guess everyone is their own worst critic. Are you using some old WHFB rules or something else on your games?

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful elf lord Nick -- I really love that jeweled heart thingy (presumably not his real heart as that would be one heck of a problem in combat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be right! :) Here is the description. A rather high price to pay for its wondrous magic.

      Heart of Avelorn - This bloody-red ruby was a gift from Everqueen Alarielle to Tyrion, and protects the bearer from death itself. It is said that if Tyrion were to fall, the Heart of Avelorn would break and restore him to life. Such renewal would not be without price, however. Should the Heart of Avelorn shatter, then whatever bond lies between Alarielle and Tyrion would also be sundered, never to be healed in all the ages of the world.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work here. Love the colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work on the armour and the gemstones. He is definitely showing his age with the flat 2d pose, but you've picked out all the details very nicely. Tyrion should fit right in at the head of your army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a head it is! Wearing that helmet, of course! lol ;) Look forward to getting him on the tabletop soon. Thanks mate!

      Delete
  4. Great painting - total thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words everyone. As for what rule set we have used for fantasy battles, my good mate has introduced me to quite a few different ones. I think that is one of the great boons of our hobby, being able to use our models for many different settings. The imagination and the time [and the Mrs's approval ;)] is the limit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the challenge Nicky. Great work on this figure, love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work and welcome to the challenge. It's always fun to look back at what brought you into the hobby or sparked a new area or period. This is an excellent miniature. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work on the elf lord.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work Nick, on a classic figure (from the era before the high-elf sculpts were ruined by the comically large hands). I love the look of the sword!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they're over compensating for Trump tiny hands syndrome.

      Delete
  10. Welcome along - great first entry

    ReplyDelete
  11. A venerable mini and a great first entry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that's a cool figure and love the colors you have used nice and crisp and clean painting, nice skills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb work on a figure that takes me back thirty years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well done Nick - its evident that you know how to use a brush

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent job Nick, welcome to the Challenge 😁👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy. Almost missed this. Terrific work Nick. That helmet is amazing!

    ReplyDelete