Thursday 14 March 2024

From MartijnN: A very mixed bag (86 points)

This may well be my last post for this Challenge, and it is definitely my last regular Thursday post. It is a bit of a mixed bag. 

First, for my ongoing 1866 project I have two Austrian light cavalry brigades of the 1st Light Cavalry Division of the Reserve Cavalry.  Brigade Appel, consisting of the 9th hussars and 2nd dragoons, and Brigade Wallis made up of the 10th hussars and the 1st dragoons. At this point, all German cavalry wore white, dragoons as well as cuirassiers, but 1st and 2nd dragoons had been converted from cheveaux-légers en had retained their old green uniforms. 6mm Baccus figures, as usual.


Then I have painted up some more real estate, again mostly by Leven and Battlescale I think.



And some hedges, you can never have enough of those. These work equally well for 6mm and 10mm I reckon.

Finally, some more Iain Lovecraft pirates and/or general 17th-18th century types. And a beggar.



As I really had not realized we are already that close to the end, I did not really plan for another library theme. So no map.

However, I won't let you go without a final book recommendation. This is just a book that I read recently and enjoyed. It is Never Greater Slaughter. Brunanburh and the Birth of England,  by Michael Livingston.

Livingston is a well-known medieval scholar with many titles to his name, among them books on Agincourt and Crecy. This volume is on the Battle of Brunanburh in 937. Quite an achievement to write a book on a battle about which hardly anything can be said for certain. However, the book is very well written and argues convincingly for the location of the battle in the Wirral, while also painting a very vivid picture of medieval battle and the situation in England at the beginning of the 10th century. Much recommended. 

Michael Livingston and Kelly Devries also do a very interesting and also much recommended podcast, Bow and Blade. A must listen for anyone remotely interested in medieval military history. Battles from Thermopylae to the Fall of Rhodes by two military historians who know their stuff and also share the problems and dilemmas facing the historian confronted by few or unreliable sources. Great fun as well.

Scoring:

6x 28mm/32mm foot @ 5 = 30

36x 6mm horse @ 1 = 36

8x 6mm buildings and 17x 6mm/10mm hedges = 20?

For a total of 86, which should take me past my updated goal.

Thanks to all for stopping by, and in particular a very big thank you to Teemu for some great minioning!

TeemuL: A mixed bag indeed, I guess that's common at the end of the Challenge, when all the almost-dones projects are hurriedly finished instead of starting another project. At least that happens to me. Those pirates and their companions look terrific, I think I need to buy some of them myself. And the hedges are handy, like you said, can be used in different scales. 6mm cavalry and buildings are nice additions to your project, too. Well done achieving your target!

12 comments:

  1. Great painting all round Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some mighty fine work Martijn, I like the Lovecraft figures, especially the guy in the red jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, they are great and a joy to paint. I tried to make him look like a sort of British officer.

      Delete
  3. Nice assortment of stuff. The Lovecraft figures have a lot character. Great work on the faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, particularly on the pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful post, Martijn! Love those little hedgerows. Are they custom built? They look great. I also really like these pirates you've added to your collection. I really must start printing off some of Lovecraft's figures to try. Also, thank you for the book recommendation. I'm going to put that one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, they are actually 10mm hedgerows by Battlescale. Nice models and great value. I am sure you will have a field day with Lovecraft figures!

      Delete
  6. Really like those tiny cavalry and terrain. Thanks for the book plug.

    ReplyDelete