Thursday 14 March 2024

From SteveA: Gaslands, KoW, Terrain (121 points)

Heya painting peoples!

I am chasing challenges with this post,  going for 3 Library Challenges as I wander thru the AHPC library seeking to slay the gray...and chip away the pile of unpainted shame...

Ever since ByronM got me hooked on the table top visuals that 3D printing can bestow upon a Kings of War  table scape where upon the minis were shrunk to 10mm scale so more minis fit within the units bases, thereby making the battlefield appear more epic....I have continued to add more units to my Army and craft more terrain for the KPW 10mm battle field.


A unit of 10mm Trolls will now bolster my KoW army building options, and and a dollar store Halloween Skeleton-snake decoration converted into an "ancient bones within the hill" terrain piece will now provide an obstacle for unit movement and block line of sight  for some upcoming KoW battles


To further complement my "scrubland"  terrain for 10mm KoW battles, I also crafted and painted up a couple hills and some smaller clusters of trees.


If you were pondering over ideas about how to create some variety of scatter terrain with some low-profile base that were both cheap and not a collection of square corners.. I can suggest trying an idea I found when viewing war game hobby yootoob videos - use old CDs as bases for some of your custom terrain pieces.

Hills, Trees and old bones are rather Nature-ish. . so these pieces I think will enable me to check out a "Nature" book from the AHPC challenge library.

Shifting creative gears and jumping across genres......

Music is Art, Art is Music...the creative forces cannot be stopped, nor can they be 'shushed' into quiet submission by beleaguered AHPC  librarians. .. Thereby the risen dead Bone Heads band rocked out in the AHPC Library and grabbed me an "Art" book from the shelf  .  
The Bone Heads are 4 minis created by Ral Partha waaaay back in 1985 as part of there Imports line..  These guys are from the same blister pack of  2 skeletons on guitar, 1 Skeleton drummer, and 1 skeleton dood strapped into the drum kit to hold all the drums together.

The Gaslands car is a converted toy matchbox car - a $2 child's toy reimagined via the power of DYI mini-craft--  with some parts from NorthstarFigures 'Implements of Carnage' bitz sprues and a healthy application of trash bashing with plastic I saved from the recycling bin and reworked with files, knives and glue...

Also painted up for this week is a smattering of scatter terrain - piles of oil barrels and car tires that can used to pretty-up a Gaslands table, and can also to suggest where car lanes exist before collisions and weapons fire alters the flow of game traffic.... and I suppose these barrels an tires could also lend well to other games where there was still shooty-shooty-bang-bang, but less vehicular explosions ..

Considering all the  Terrain I painted for this post simply as a pile of terrain stuff to store between days when the dice are not rolling,  and imagining  if converted it all into a liquid, this assortment of terrain could fill a 6x6x6 inch cube cup..  Hmm ..  not a brew I'd drink nor a cup shape I'd recommend as best design to avoid chin drenching spills...  so I will leave these terrain items intact and ready for game, and give into my feeling there are 20 points of terrain here.

So here on my last proper Thor'sday post before the AHPC Library closing time.. I run a  few more zig-zags around the map so I may ring more challenge bells, and (elder thing powers be willing)  I will have a few more items painted and posted before the  Free-Fire days within the AHPS library  shoots out all the important structural parts of the library walls and it all comes crashing down in a heap of well painted minie among bookish ruination wrought of the next few chaotic days that will conclude this fun challenge.

121 Total Points

15 pts = x1    Gaslands Car, Vehicle 20mm
10 pts = x10  Trolls(KoW), Foot Figure, 10mm (10x1pt)
16 pts = x4   Undead Skeleton Metal Band, Foot Figure 20mm (4x4pts)
20 Pts = x1 cube, 6x6x6 inch of Terrain cube
Challenge Library 
20 pts = S3 "Art" (Undead Metal)
20 pts = S3 "Nature" (scrubland terrain)
20 pts= S4 "DII"  (MatchBox toy car converted to Gaslands battle car)


TeemuL: Yes, old CD, a tried and tested method to have non-warped and rather strong terrain base. All those Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedias and installation CDs from the 90s have a new life! The second mixed of the day, let's see...

Terrain looks good, I like the snake skeleton and the skeleton band, too. I can imagine a skeleton band playing in the background of a Gaslands race. I guess all the terrain here could be used with Gaslands? The red car, nicely built, and probably very fast. Good job Steve! I hope you reach your target during the Free Fire time.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of useful cool looking terrain. Love the dead band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun cruise through the library hall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome stuff, one can hear engines revving and see dust billowing when looking at your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cool terrain! Brilliant work Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool stuff, like the repurposed snake skelly. I remember that skelly band and it’s great to see it again.

    ReplyDelete