Monday 18 March 2019

From PhilH: A Fleeting Return to the SCW Project (22 Points)

I’ve had a Spanish Civil War project on the go since  2015, and it featured heavily on my Challenge V and VI entries. I got a couple of supported sections finished but haven’t really done much to nudge to project on recently.

I’ve mentally committed to running a SCW Chain of Command game at 2020’s Operation Market Larden event, so am keen to jump-start the project again. No, that’s not a typo it is more than a year away, but I need to knock out at least another section and a half of infantry, some Republican supports and preferably a couple of vehicles. And probably some terrain. And I know I’ll veer off on a dozen or so tangents in the meantime.

To get back into my stride, I hit up a group of four Nationalist riflemen.


Straightforward job, green on green. They’re functional and a bit dull to paint, they just don’t bring so much joy as the natty Requetés with their jaunty red berets.


I clearly can’t get enough berets. Having settled on this unit being Mountain Infantry, I’d read they wore khaki berets, and a couple of head swaps later and voila. I’ve a few more beret’d infantrymen to  bulk out the unit more.


20 points and another squirrel.  

__________________________________________________________________

The Spanish Civil War, like the Russian Civil War, the Abyssinian Crisis, and the Rif War, are one of those weird periods where anything goes. And it's clear the war isn't over, at least in Catalunya. They still hate Franco, and have an almost masochistic bent on being proud of losing. A lot like South Carolina, really.

And I fully understand the appeal. I have a whole box of Warlord Italians ready to serve in Spain, once the paratroopers and Soviets are done. Chain of Command is also a great system.

These fellows are quite splendid. A nice mix of greenish khaki. Tossing in a point per beretswap, that puts you down for 22!

~HerrRobert


14 comments:

  1. I do like your green/ grey/ khaki tones, very smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool figures mate, I do like that they all have some small ontrasting colours in amongst the earth tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it’s nice to pick out a few details to lift the khaki green

      Delete
  3. Grand to see more SCW from you Phil. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I miss painting it. Should do better next year, and dig out my copy of ‘Painting War’ to inspire me

      Delete
  4. Lovely civil war Spanish,gorgeous colours!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! I’m more accustomed to punchy colours these days, than khakis

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Phil, love the helmet.

    ReplyDelete