Monday, 18 March 2019

From SamuliS: War of the Roses (120 points)

Another change of subject and actually a start of a totally new historical period for me with an entry into the War of the Roses!

A few clubmates wanted to start gaming 15th century conflicts which I've been interested in doing for a while so naturally I jumped on the bandwagon immediately when I heard. I would have preferred the Italian Wars over the War of the Roses, but a lot of the units can be used as generic mercenaries for some future games anyway so I didn't mind too much. For now we're starting off slow with just Lion Rampant forces and depending on the moods later expanding to larger armies for Hail Caesar using sabot bases to incorporate the singly based minis.



To keep the force a bit more flexible I decided early on to not even try paint any heraldry and just stick to probably the most common english heraldry colour. Then I can vary the allegiances of my troops with the changeable flags copied from the way our Mighty Snowlord Curt has done in his projects. It was also the perfect excuse to simplify the painting a lot as no need to try paint some animals or other shapes on their clothing.



This bunch was also bit of an exercise in speed painting. We had some discussion in a Finnish wargaming facebook group last week about speed painting after someone had posted a link to Massive Voodoo's advanced speed painting classes. A target of 25 minutes per miniature sounded pretty unrealistic so of course I had to see how long it actually would take me to paint a unit if I actually kept track of the time and tried to speed things up a bit by limiting highlights and colour choices.
 
All in all I ended up spending about 8 hours and 15 minutes on them over the period of 4 days which came up to a bit under 21 minutes per model which was a lot faster than I expected. With the extra 4 minutes to the "goal" I could still have spent some time highlighting the clothing and maybe adding the heraldry without being too rushed. To be honest I was a bit surprised how little time it took per model as painting in a batch of 24 it seemed to be a lot slower than it was in reality. And in reality a bit under 2 hours was spent on just basing them as I based them after painting and having to be careful around their legs etc. slowed the process down a lot. With some better planning of steps and an even more limited colour palette I think I could maybe squeeze a mini out within 17-18 minutes easily.




This may sound a bit silly, but at least for me actually keeping track of how long I painted something was quite an eye opening experience. In reality things took a lot less time than I thought which actually boosted my motivation by quite a bit!

With that wall of text out of the way this should give me another 120 points to my tally from the 24 28mm minis and another squirrel point (on which I am badly behind target!).

Lovely work, Samuli. I like the bright yet natural colours and your groundwork is delightful. Hopefully they get to see service in many thatres!

I've often found I overestimate how long a painting task will take, but haven't measured it like you have. I don't want to turn it into too much of a factory-based efficiency process, though- I mostly paint for fun!

Barks

10 comments:

  1. Nice work, T&M on paint projects, not sure if I would dare....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a terrific start to this new project. Lovely figures Samuli. Funny, I find my basing often takes as long as painting the figures themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work Samuli! Time and again I find myself thinking about giving that period a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some really nice Arrer boys Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on these Perry plastics! I'd have loved to see your take on the Italian wars to be honest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.