Thursday 19 March 2020

From MilesR: Abd al Rahman - The Falcon of Andalus Piper's Peak (758 Points)


It's been awhile since I've posted anything (again) but with the wheels coming off the real world, I've been a bit busy.  Anyway, I was struggling to come up with something for Piper's Peak and remembered I had a 15mm figure of Abd al Rahman - the Falcon of Andulus.  The figure is from West Wind's War & Empire range.  I got it as one of the stretch goals from their War & Empire III kickstarter.

So how does this meet the requirement for Pipers Peak - Well Abd al Rahman scaled the heights of power in establishing the Caliphate in Iberia and he's got a bird and birds can fly high.  Kind of weak but it's all I got.

After looking at the figure, two things struck me (i) I'm not that good of a painter of 15mm figures for the "show quality" Piper's Peak deserves and (ii) he looks kind of lonely and thought I should paint up some friends.  So I did.


How about a complete 15 unit Arab Conquest army in 15mm painted and based in 72 hours while on innumerable conference calls.  All of the figures are from West Winds War and Empire line are are very nice.


Speed painting like this doesn't looks great up close but does look fine on the table top.


I've also mastered conducting board meetings while painting - a skill I really wish I didn't have to acquire but painting reduces my stress and business wise this is a pretty stressful time.  The key is rigging a foot controlled mute on/off switch and mounting my trusty iPad Pro at eye level on my painting desk.  It's worked surprisingly well.

The only draw back is I can't use my terrain bench so the base work is pretty simple - he these guys are from the desert any so sand, sand and more sand.


I really like the ancients line from West Wind and have painted up Imperial Roman and Sassanid Persian armies in previous Challenges.  There is also an Early Byzantine army waiting to be painted but I just will not get to that this Challenge.  I'm hoping to stage the battle of Yarmuk at the club.

Both the Byzantines and Arabs came from West Wind's third Kickstarter for the line and I was very pleased with both the pricing and delivery timeframe.  If West Wind does another Kickstarter, I'll definitely participate and recommend you do so to.


These may even show up in a future LittleWars TV episode....


Lets see - so what is the pointage?  Well

Abd al Rahman 4pts
Pipers Peak  30pts

Arab Army
Infantry 202 figures = 404 pts
Mounted 80 figures = 320 pts

Grand Total: 758 pts

Well that gets me in spitting distance of my target of 3000 points!



(slightly smaller) Kaboom! And Miles drops a points bomb right after Grahame's! I do feel some concern that the roster might not be able to take it, but as Miles built it, he's only got himself to blame if it crumbles to dust.

That's a very impressive army - I'll look forward to seeing them appear on Little Wars TV.

TamsinP

6 comments:

  1. OOOOH nice one Miles! Awesome force indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that you had been too quiet! Nice army Miles, I'm chucking over you painting and being in board meeting simultaneously, but then I've seen you in action while driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. maybe I can try conference calling, painting and driving! That would be like hitting the trifecta

      Delete
  3. Impressive example of multi tasking! Lovely looking Arab army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Painting an entire army while on conference calls, what admirable madness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should ask for more meetings since you find them so productive.

    ReplyDelete