Wednesday 11 March 2020

From PeteF Douglas' Shallows - Raft Ranger Messing About with Boat (40 points?)



For the penultimate stop on Challenge Island I was going to do three 3-D printed rafts for use in the Rebels & Patriots river chase scenario. Unfortunately my friend's 3-D printer gave up the ghost after one raft, so for this location I have boat rather than boats to mess around with.



The 3-D file came free from Thingiverse and the designer did a great job with it. There's an alternate version with a small sail which I'll use for one of the other rafts when the printer is well again. The chest is integral to the print and adds some interest.



I tried a new technique for the wood using artists acrylic and a weathered wood medium. The whole thing was painted with a greyish driftwood colour, then the medium, then a burnt umber. As it dried it cracked - giving a more natural effect. I'm calling the result good enough for wargaming.



To make up for the lack of boats I painted a ranger to go on the raft. She is a Sisterhood Scout from Mantic's Kings of War/Vanguard Basilean's faction. I'm thinking of using this green/yellow colour scheme for a wood-elfy SAGA Age of Magic faction.  I tried more contrast/shading on the cloak than I usually manage - what do you think - could I go further? Should the final highlight be grey rather than lime green?





Not sure how to score the raft - if it's a vehicle it would be 20 points but if terrain then more like 5. 5 for the ranger and 30 for the new location - I'll leave final judgement to the minion of the day.





From DaveD - Thats a fine creation alright i will go with 40 points







4 comments:

  1. That's a great little raft, I can see lots of table top uses for it. The ranger figure is a great fit for it as would your FIW or AWI scenario. Hopefully your mate gets his printer online again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Pete. The green highlighting looks fine to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking raft and ranger!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete