Wednesday 11 March 2020

From SimonM: "Otherworld Miniatures" Green Slime and Yellow Mould (10 Points)

This 28mm scale pewter model of some Green Slime is produced by "Otherworld Miniatures", and can be bought as Code DM7a from their range of Dungeon Monsters. Hand-sculpted by Paul Muller, the creature made its first appearance in the original 1974 Dungeons & Dragons set and represents "a large colony of green slime; a very unpleasant plant-based life-form that lurks on the floors, walls and ceilings of dark dungeons, ready to drop on careless low-level adventurers."


Despite being advertised as only being 45mm wide, I soon found the "bright green, sticky, wet moss" to actually overlap the edges of the "50mm round plastic slotta-base" it came supplied with. So in the end I decided to super-glue it to a 60mm circular base instead. I then applied a basecoat of "Vallejo" Russian Uniform over the deadly ooze and washed it with copious amounts of "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.

As I wanted to use the mindless monster as a test piece for my recently acquired "Vallejo" Green Fluorescent Model Color, I first dry-brushed the miniature with some (more) "Vallejo" Russian Uniform, before individually 'picking out' each and every lethal blob with some "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. These pustules were later repeatedly dry-brushed using an increasingly lighter combination of "Vallejo" Russian Uniform and White.

Once I felt the "horrible, fetid growth" was highlighted enough, I dabbed the entire thing with "Vallejo" Green Fluorescent and allowed it to dry. As a final touch, I went back in and reapplied more "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to the highly corrosive creature's numerous bumps and bulbous stalks.


With my Green Slime finished I then moved on to a 28mm scale pewter model of a Yellow Mould, also produced by "Otherworld Miniatures", and available as DM7g from their range of Dungeon Monsters. Hand-sculpted by Paul Muller, the creature represents "a colony of yellow mould, a nasty fungus-like infestation, often found growing on decaying matter in caverns and dungeons."

"Very dangerous if disturbed by unwary explorers", I originally super-glued the furry textured monster to a plastic "Citadel" 40mm circular base, and primed it with "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. I then applied two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Goldbrown over the entire creature, and shaded it using a copious amount of "Citadel" Gryphonne Sepia.

Lastly, the "deadly threat to adventurers" was dry-brushed using some (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Golden Brown, and a lesser highlight of Heavy Ochre. At this stage however, I suddenly realised that there wasn't any room on the model's base for me to apply wither any sand, grit or static grass. As a result, I therefore carefully prised the Yellow Mould from off of its stand, and permanently attached it to a "Citadel" 50mm circular base instead.

From DaveD - Blax to devil you ... yet more stuff i have never heard of . -its always a pleasure to be educated 

8 comments:

  1. Nice bio hazards Blax - I do recall these from my mid 70s D&D games. According to me biologist colleagues it best to conduct experiments on non-sentient lifeforms to avoid running afoul of the University ethics committees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. The Green Slime is an absolute classic D&D foe which I still remember as a young boy :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice blobs of deadly stuff Simon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking monsters and nice basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I think the re-basing on both was a wise move personally.

      Delete
  4. These are gross, but in a nice way. Great work.

    ReplyDelete