Wednesday 11 March 2020

From PhilH: Making Cement at Cook’s Crevasse (55 Points)

Fourth on my canter around the island, the geological task at Cook’s Crevasse.

For a game I hosted at the ‘Winter Wonder Lard’ games day, I needed terrain for the town of Quinto de Ebro in Aragon. The feature I chose to represent was a Cement Factory, assaulted by the Dimitrov Battalion and 3Co Lincoln Battalion of the XV International Brigade on the second day of the battle. And what better geology, than the kind that has so many useful applications: concrete for buildings, bridges, fortifications, in finest grade can all be supplied by Valderrivas Cementos (est.1909)



The battle of Quinto, August 1937


Both buildings are by Sarissa precision, textured with tile grout. The inner layer with doors and windows in thin ‘grey board’ caused me no end of trouble as I built and painted them, eventually all of the doors fell off. I got them painted for the day, but I will go back and figure out some repairs later.



The two signs are scratchbuilt, with the lettering printed on paper. They’re just blu-tacked on so I can reuse them elsewhere.





To make a complex for the game,  I also threw some paint on some Rubicon brick walls (and ran out of time to do some other miscellany), but it was such a rush job they need redoing so I won’t post them now.



The buildings come a little bigger then a standard reference points cube, so i suggest 25 plus the 30 point location bonus for 55.
















From Daved - Lovely job there Phil .. now I hope you didn't add too much sand to the mix as Dr Cooke is allergic to sand - not a great thing for a geologist!

55 points it is!

11 comments:

  1. Nice work on the buildings Phil. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you always make it in first Tamsin? :-)

      Delete
  2. Really nice work on this factory Phil. The stucco texturing is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Tile grout is a tip from ‘Silver Whistle’ Pat. I used premium stuff leftover from a bathroom renovation, cheap stuff may work better

      Delete
  3. Excellent. Cement production is very bad for the environment though. Releases huge amounts of CO2 from the limestone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I’ve no doubt! Pity it’s a fashionable material for architecture!

      Delete
  4. Great looking buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete