Tuesday 10 March 2020

From Mark B - Diana and Ares (20 points)

For this post I decided to make a move quick sharpish! The target was the Snow Lord’s Peak and I was unsure if I could get there on time? Therefore I called upon the mighty balloon of Sarah once more and painted a female figure as my tribute for the ride.

I have a load of Ancient Greeks and wondered if I could add a mythical element to them. Therefore I painted up a female Amazon figure from Essex miniatures that I found in a whole bunch of other clobber as a rather curvaceous Goddess of the hunt to represent Diana. She is about 35mm tall and based on a 30 x 30mm base. I guess compared to my Greek hoplites she would look an impressive 7-8’! I’ve painted her in relatively natural colours and enjoyed using four shades of flesh colours to get a nice skin tone on her.

The bow string is made from a big paint brush bristle.

Up against her I found another old figure. This time a 54mm hoplite figure time represent Ares the god of war. He is an imposing warrior to dwarf mere mortal hoplites and strike fear into them! He is I think from Irregular Miniatures - although I’m less certain this time as he was purchased or swapped in a big box of junk figures. He is based on a 60mm x 60mm base and his spear is florists wire flattened out and attacked with an electric grinder to get the shape. 
Here he is fighting it out with Diana over some sort of disagreement that the gods will forget in a few dats time! You get an idea of he scale difference!



The part I was most pleased with on Ares was the hand painted shield. No transfers here just a steady hand and a Peter Connelly book as a suitable source material. It was also rather fun to add the extra decoration on his linen armour and under the crest of his helmet. I’ve a rather horrible obsession of making my shields and weapons look grimy with battle. In this case a few rather shocking blood streaks as he used the shield as a bludgeon to cave some mere mortal’s skull in earlier!

Please Sarah take me to the Snow Lord’s Peak in time to get in a final challenge! Please be quick as time is running out! šŸ¤Ŗ
So onto points:
I’ve already used the balloon so no points therešŸ™
Ares: one 54mm figure = 10 points
Diana: big 28mm = 5 points
Total = 15 points
-------
By Paul: 
I do love me some classical Greek goodies, and these really tickle my fancy! LOVE your ARES, the bowstring and the hand painted shield with grimy remnants of some unfortunate. These are the details that makes such figures really pop!  

I have applied some upward adjustment to the points for the 34mm fig and added some bonuses for your great detailing. 

20 points in total Mark- great job. Now get cracking onto that final challenge!

6 comments: