Sunday 7 March 2021

Aquifer - Rivers, 2mm Roman marching camp and Gallic oppidum



 Before I go deeper into the dungeon it dawned on me that I’d missed the Aquifer out from the first level. I’d been making thin rivers out of foam sheets that I could use for my 2mm games so these seemed a fairly simple tick in the box. 4’ 6” of rivers made and painted. I had never used foam sheets before for basing and feared they’d warp. Actually they’ve worked really well. These will be ideal for my Sambre 57BC scenario I need to play test next week.

Just to show them in action a few 2mm German warbands are shown crossing over a Ford doubtless off to cause mischief!

Next up is a Gallic Oppidum or town. Surrounded by stone walls interlaced with wooden beams and an imposing ditch. A small group of warriors rally to guard the front entrance while further warriors (or maybe encouraging wives) man the ramparts. This has been made from insulation foam and card with a couple of matchsticks.

Nice view of the surrounding countryside from up here... I wonder where the Romans are?

This sort of oppidum could represent Alesia, Bibracte or Gergovia and will also be a handy addition for a number of Gallic Wars scenarios.

Finally another scratch built camp. This time a Roman marching camp. I already have a full sized one, but this one will fit nicely on the edge of the table and will be useful in Roman Civil War scenarios where both sides need a camp.

I’m undecided but I may well go back and add a few wooden towers in the corners and by the gateway. I used the same method as the oppidum with foam and card. The tents are very thin card cut and folded! I guess the fort could also pass muster for a well organised non-Roman camp, so will also play host to my Servile Wars troops under Spartacus attempting to imitate the Roman model, or Pontic forces in the Mithridatic Wars.


Each of the camps is 120mm x 60mm.

A bit hard to judge this on points. I’ll call it 25 for the camps and the rivers and 20 more for the Aquifer challenge. Total : 45 points.

Cheers

Mark Backhouse


 

11 comments:

  1. loving those Mark,

    building a Gallic oppidum myself at the moment based on our Oppidum in Moulay, the 4th largest in France from our local tribe the Auleri-Diablintes. More stuff about it on my blog

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid oppida and marching camp and the river sections are excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work Mark, the scale and scope is positively cinematic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post for me to see as not done anything at this scale - great results! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking stuff Mark. Very convincing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this project is just amazing to gaze at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Those camps are brilliant Mark. I hope to have some of my 2mm efforts up in a bit. If they are half as good as your work here, I'll be delighted. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bit of work that terrain looks lovely 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete