Tuesday 16 March 2021

From Guy B: [The Armoury] Bruce era Scots and Islesmen [170 points]

Facing the Medieval Norse (from my first entry) are the brave Scots from the time of Robert the Bruce. While designed for the 1300s, they'll do for 1263 well enough... and possibly onto the early part of the Hundred Years War.


The vast majority of the models are from the excellent Antediluvian Miniatures range. I have mixed in the odd Crusader model and even a Foundry (old Baron's war range). 


Some of the Antediluvian Miniatures have wide stances so don't fit on my preferred base size of 20mm square. I wanted to have multi-based units, however, as ranked up it makes the unit look less ranked and more irregular.


I also painted some Islesmen, with their great axes ready to wreak havoc. I used a combination of contrast painting over a white undercoat followed by highlights on some parts, where needed. 


The army will be designed for Lion Rampant, so will consist of many Spearmen, with a few mad axemen! I will have some knights ready soon, but we're not at the Solar yet... I also have banner bearers on the go... but not ready in time... 


These were fun to paint, although now I've photographed them, I note a few mistakes... oops! The shield motifs is all based on Scottish heraldry of the time.


The model on the left is a Black Tree. He's quite big compared with the rest... It is entirely coincidental that I find myself painting a whooole pile of Scots this time...


Finally, there's a Foundry noble and a Crusader peasant. So to finish off our visit to the armoury, we have a total of thirty 28mm Scots, which I make as 150 points plus the 20 point theme bonus. 


170 points as I'm about to close out my shift! Lovely stuff!

Nice set of Scotsmen, Guy.

Tamsin


5 comments: