Saturday 20 March 2021

From JasperO: Shermans for The Armoury (63 points)

Hurray! I've made it to the end of the Challenge without burning out and despite waylaying myself with several (still unfinished, of course) projects along the way. These two Shermans, however, had been properly planned before the Challenge started, and had been ready to go, primed and all on December 21st, ready to slot into the Armoury when, actually really if, I got there. But I did, just in time, and I finished them, just in time (about 15 minutes ago, in fact).


Both models are from the wonderful range of Shermans that Rubicon offers. I used to build tank models, a long time ago, and I felt almost stymied by the bewildering quantity of super-detailing options on offer. These are just right: the mix-and-match features of the kits allow you to build just about any Sherman variant you might want, and come with enough detail that is fun to paint without 'requiring' weeks of work to get them finished to some hyper-detailed level. (This is just how my brain work, your mileage hopefully varies).



I'm glad I included some crewmembers to provide scale and color, as an olive-drab tank can otherwise get a bit, well, drab. Rubicon includes driver/radio operator busts that have to be installed during construction which makes painting them a bit awkward, but if you leave the heads separate, it's fine. The shoulder area is hardly visible at all, in the end.




Contemporary photos always seem to show especially American Shermans festooned with stowage and as that adds color and interest too, I grabbed bits from a variety of sets and stuck them all over liberally. It's a bit of extra work in the end, but adds a lot to the final impression, I think. Points-wise, two tanks are 40 points, 20 points for the armoury and one each for the 'head-and-shoulders'?

The Challenge has certainly allowed me to stay focused better than I might otherwise (it's relative, but still...), and a certain pressure does help to get things done. So it's been good! Thank you so much to Curt for organizing it again, to the Minions for being encouraging and doing the hard work, to Lady Sarah for allowing me to skip Chambers I didn't want to deal with, and to all the other contenders for the inspiring work! 


12 comments:

  1. Great looking tanks. All that extra stowage does make them look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work, the Rubicon kits are really nice kits to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work Jasper! The weathering is just about right and I quite like the added crew members. Really helps to liven up those beasts of steel as does the stowage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stowage and crew really add to the models. Great work.

    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful looking tanks - agree that Rubicon makes great kits. I hope to see these tanks with WSS in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, those are gorgeous Shermans (and for relatively boring, ugly tanks, that's saying a lot!). I particularly like all the stowage on the rear running-deck. Thank you for participating Jasper - it's always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent looking tanks Jasper and very convincing weathering work!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, lovely work. Just lovely. I'm usually afraid to paint crew...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. Those are superb Jasper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I would give my left kidney to be able to paint vehicles that well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work Jasper. I’ve still got stuff primed for week one of the challenge on the work bench!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome looking armour! The extra stowage is excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete