Saturday 20 March 2021

From Barks: Aliens (144 points)

I'm a huge fan of Aliens, and was keen to get my hands on the new boardgame from Gale Force 9. It was supposed to arrive mid-December, but didn't. Since completing my Snowlord Challenge and the Descent boardgame, I've painted everything except the marines. I really enjoyed doing the research on this deeply quotable film.

Our Lady of Survival comes in three flavours: vanilla, spicy, and hot orange. I tried to get the space Reeboks right.



The Power Loader model doesn't have all the cables the real one does, and I think I made it a little too orange. I do like the final outcome, and you know I love hazard stripes.


"A-firmative!"

The figures have their names molded on the base, which is probably useful for the obscure redshirt marines. I was going to pick them out in yellow, but left them an off-white which isn't too distracting.

"This installation has a substantial dollar value..."

"I prefer the term 'artificial person' myself."

I flicked white paint over Bishop using a brush and toothpick, and was relieved it looked OK.

"Not bad... for a human."

I 3D printed Jonesy and a base because I wanted to.



The eggs (which I had thought would be my Hatchery entry but they didn't arrive in time) come freestanding, so I printed bases (same as Jonesy).


On the open eggs I applied a bit of UHU, which looks great and I'll be using this trick in future- also see below.

The perfect organism, and a facehugger.


A touch of UHU on the mouth. Hugs and kisses!


I found the xenomorphs hard to assemble, paint and photograph! I pinned all the tails because they're not designed for strength. I drybrushed them gunmetal over a black undercoat, picked out claws and teeth in silver,  then used a black wash followed by a blue wash. Finally a satin varnish and a touch of gloss to their foreheads. It is very hard to capture the oily rubbery sheen.


Whew! I'm looking forwards to assembling and painting the marines and playing a game. I'm thinking of 3D printing an APC as well.

16x Xenomorphs: 80 points

2x mount and rider (Power Loader, Ripley and Newt!): 20 points

4x Civilians (Ripley, Bishop, Burke, Newt): 20 points

8x Eggs: 8 points

3x Small Creatures (Facehuggers and Jonesy): 6 points

1x Queen: 8 points

1x half a Bishop: 2 points

144 points gets me comfortably over my goal, with hours to spare. I'm pulling out all the stops for a truly final Skulltastic entry, then it will be Game Over, man!

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff. These are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get them on the table!

      Delete
  2. This is outstanding - how much is in the game and how many were printed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only printed figure is Jonesy and some of the bases.

      I went all in on the game and expansions- the base game has Ripley, Newt, 5 marines and 16 aliens. One expansion adds 5 marines and Burke; another the queen, power loader, Bishop, and Ripley carrying Newt. Finally there's a box of scenery including eggs, facehuggers, crates, and sentry guns.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic mate - you've really captured them perfectly with your paint jobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Paul- I enjoyed rewatching the film to catch all the details!

      Delete
  4. The figures are top notch Barks but that power loader really takes the prize, man that's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great paint job and tones! Sander +1 on the power loader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome aliens entry! I really liked the colonial marines in the film but the loader comes a close second, lovely work all over!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great Barks! I've been tempted by GF9's ALIENS game and your superb work is not helping me resist!

    ReplyDelete