Saturday 20 March 2021

From MikeF - Alpha Legion Xiphon Interceptor and some Bonereapers for AOS - 50 points

 My final post for this challenge is the crowning jewel of my Alpha Legion, the Xiphon Interceptor from Forgeworld. The last Horus Heresy game I played was with GregB's excellent Space Wolves against Dallas' Iron Warriors. Both brought our their Storm Eagles and Greg's in particular performed well from what I remember. I thought it would be fun to get something that could shoot them down by turn 2. Fun for me, not necessarily Greg. The Xiphon is an air superiority fighter with 4 lascannons and a rotary missile launcher in the underside. In the fluff, it was an extremely hard plane to control, so only a space marine could operate it. It even has a space marine pilot! 

I wanted to show off the cockpit and pilot, but thought the clear glass canopy wasn't very interesting. I liked the effect some people online got using clear paints on their canopies and decided to give it a try. I picked up some clear green enamel paint and painted the underside of the canopy. It didn't go on all that smooth and I thought I pooched the whole thing by adding too many coats, but when the canopy was placed onto the model it magically looks flawless. I included a picture of the painted cockpit to prove that I put effort into something that no one will ever see. 

For points I score it at 25 points as it's a fairly large 28mm model and I'm requesting sympathy points for the cockpit fiasco.








At the start of the challenge I mentioned completing some Ossiarch Bonereapers for Age of Sigmar. That plan didn't really pan out, but I did manage to paint up a few Mortek Guard today. I used contrast paint for the bones and conventional paints for the armor. Maybe the Bonereapers will feature more heavily next challenge!




For points that's 5 x 28mm models for 25 points!

Many thanks to Curt and the Minions for their work during this challenge. This has been my most successful year of the challenge and I'm very happy with my production these last few months. I'm most satisfied with the Alpha Legion vehicles as their disassembled grey resin components were a constant source of shame. Best of luck to everyone as we enter spring and hopefully we can return to gaming soon.

Take care,

MikeF

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful work on the interceptor! The colour scheme is gorgeous and all that edge highlighting really pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xiphon looks superb Mike! Some nice skulls in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely flier, and I see 8 skullz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly gorgeous interceptor! Lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant stuff Mike! Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. Love that blue

    ReplyDelete