Friday 5 March 2021

From NoelW: The Laboratory (22 points)

“This is a nice change. No nasty monsters, tricky statues or men with nasty explosive sticks trying to take our heads off.”

“Just rows of odd instruments and a weird looking roundabout in the middle of the room. Merlissa, do you know where we are?”

“It is an ancient laboratory, where the Astromancers first began to plot the stars. That is an orrerry.”


“With one too many syllables, if you ask me.”

“Can we use it?” asks Getrude. “Can we find out how to defeat these pernicious invaders we keep running across?”

“Or locate the room with the Greatest Treasure the World has Never Seen?”

“Worth a stab.”

“There’s a lever.”

“Woof!”

“Yes, I know, Scruff, but Gnawbone’s gone off on his own now. We’ll just have to figure out how to pull it by ourselves.”

Getrude grabs the lever, pulls. There’s a whir of orbs and planets, gears and chains. A brass arrow shifts across a map of the known universe (that is, the Chambers of Challenge and Challenge Island). There’s a little green stick man in one corner. Using a digital interface (i.e. her finger) Merlissa moves the little man onto the map. It grows larger, and larger, pictures of the many rooms they’ve visited scrolling before their eyes. 

Until they light on one that’s unfamiliar. What looks like a mass of tangled straw, with bones sticking from it, and something unidentifiable trickling across the floor.

“The Lair of the BEAST”, says Merlissa. “We’ve not been there. Yet.”

“The beast?”

“No! The BEAST! With REALLY BIG LETTERS! And, ideally, BOLD ITALICS and a couple of really offensively large exclamation marks!! It’s where the greatest monsters in all the land gather for purposes no-one has every successfully escaped from to report on. It looks like your precious Gnawbone, now he’s a monster, is heading there to join them.”

“Ah,” says Elfbow. “Then, probably, perhaps, all things considered – I guess he’s managing quite well on his own. Doesn’t need our help, is my guess.”

“And what’s through that door behind you, Merlissa?”

Merlissa considers the exit in question, a solid oak door set squarely in the far wall.

“What, that door there? Hmm. I’m not sure. Let me enquire.”

She peers intently at the orrery, then glances at her crystal ball.



“Whoa!” she says, after a moment. “I see great danger. Could be a Rakshasa. Might be a pack of rabid wolves. Yes, definitely dangerous Encounters of the Furred Kind. Looks like we really don’t want to go in there. Unless….”

“Unless what?”

“Let me borrow that stick of yours, elf. I need to check something.”

Elfbow pulls his glittering spear away from her defensively.

“What, don’t you trust me? Didn’t my infinite knowledge of that pointy stick just save our lives in the last room?”

Elfbow squints suspiciously at Merlissa.

“Ok, then,” she says, shrugging. “You try it yourself. Just tap that door with the stick. I’m absolutely sure there’s no real chance of peril.”

“Here you are,” says Elfbow, tossing the spear to Merlissa. “But I want it back, mind.”

Tentatively Merlissa approaches the exit. She raises the spear as if to strike the door, then stops as if she has suddenly noticed something, bending towards the door handle, quizzically. Then, of a sudden, she grabs it, twists, pulls, and steps into the doorway.

“You stupid elf, I knew I’d persuade you sooner or later. This, you pointed ear leaflover, is the Spear of Density. It can change any substance to any other substance at the tap of a tap. With it I can make gold as light as air, and carry the entire Snowlord’s treasury back to my master, Grimwizaj, and he will at last give me the nose job I desire! And this, to answer your question, is the door to the Snowlord’s Treasury! Rhinoplasty here I come!”

With that she sweeps through the door, slamming it behind her. Elfbow rushes after her, but it’s too late, the door has been turned to solid stone almost as impenetrable as the elf’s head, inseparable from the walls around it.

"I knew she was up to something," screeches Elfbow. "I knew it. That scrawny-lipped scryer is as two-faced as a pair of lizards."

And at that moment, just as you’d expect, in the corridor behind them there are sounds of approaching gunfire …

***

Next, and, ideally, with more than undue haste, I'm hoping for a sorceress. Anyone seen one passing by?

The orrerry is by Terrain Crate. I wish I'd seen Sander's before painting mine, as he had a great idea for a worn out version, to make a virtue of the bendy plastic. Mine isn't supposed to look worn out - it just does! I like the rendering of the planets, though.

Scoring: 20 points for the Laboratory and perhaps 2 for the Orrerry? Total: 22

7 comments:

  1. Haha! Another great chapter Noel. I'm read in wonder, marveling at how the party hasn't entirely been made into lunch yet. Wonderful. AND I really like the somewhat banged-about orrerry (LOVE that word). I need to get me some of these Terrain Crates...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work on that Orrery Noel! Threw in a couple of extra points for the great story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking orrery and story!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noel .... your story of the orrery is one of sorcery🧙‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this orrery. Great entry for the laboratory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help but think of Life of Brian- I have painted an owwewy.

    ReplyDelete